It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MP defends himself over swearing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

MP defends himself over swearing

news.bbc.co.uk

A Liberal Democrat MP has defended himself after swearing during a Westminster Hall debate.

Greg Mulholland called health minister Ivan Lewis an "arsehole" for not letting him intervene in a discussion on hospice funding, then stormed out.

Mr Lewis later said such language sent a "terrible message to young people".

But Mr Mulholland, MP for Leeds West, accused the minister of being "cowardly" for not letting him speak.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
At last, an MP not afraid to speak his mind and who stands up for his actions against suppresion.

well done Mr. Mulholland. Hang in there and go the course.
Don't back down. You did what you believed to be true, correct and right and you should stick to your guns.

For too long, people have been afraid to speak their mind using language we are all familiar with.

I bring to your attention the case between the Crown and the Sex Pistols;

Never Mind the Bollocks was met by a hail of controversy in the UK upon its release. The first documented legal problems involved the allegedly 'obscene' name of the album, and the prosecution (under Section 28 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847, since replaced by the Indecent Displays (Control) Act 1981) of the manager of the Nottingham Virgin record shop (and label owner Richard Branson) for having displayed it in a window. However, at Nottingham Magistrates' Court on 24 November 1977, defending Queen's Counsel John Mortimer produced expert witnesses who were able to demonstrate that the word "bollocks" was actually a legitimate Old English term originally used to refer to a priest, and which, in the context of the title, meant "nonsense". The chairman of the hearing was forced to conclude:

Much as my colleagues and I wholeheartedly deplore the vulgar exploitation of the worst instincts of human nature for the purchases of commercial profits by both you and your company, we must reluctantly find you not guilty of each of the four charges.

en.wikipedia.org...'s_the_Sex_Pistols

I rest my case :-)

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

new topics

join