It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Built Like an Asteroid, Scientists Find

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Comet Built Like an Asteroid, Scientists Find

news.nationalgeographic.com

A chemical analysis of the Stardust samples resembled objects from the inner solar system's asteroid belt instead of the pristine and ancient materials expected to be deep-frozen in the much more distant Kuiper Belt, beyond Neptune, said Hope Ishii, the California-based Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory physicist who led the research.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Interesting and unexpected news from a Kuiper belt object. Looks like they might not be just balls of ice after all. Wonder if they could also have components of life as thought by some.

news.nationalgeographic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-1-2008 by lifestudent]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Yea I read that, it's quite interesting.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I posted on this in the science section HERE
Good to see this from another source . Very interesting subject indeed . One of the posters said this

Originally posted by Bluess
This has been predicted in plasma cosmology a long time ago...!

"According to Electric Universe theory, comets and asteroids are not necessarily of different composition ....". read more about cometshere and here

This is from 2004... So once again plasma cosmology is right in a prediction that "stuns" standard science! this is great!

Thought i would relay it here .

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lifestudent

It sounds more like an icy asteroid to me. Where's the evidence of how these comets ar formed? Are they ejections from asteroids hitting a watery or icy surface and freezing in space? These may have been impacts on frozen watery or gaseous moons. A dirty snowball may just collect these particles or other materials during it's cycle.
If it was ejected from a sun, it might also collect these icy crystals traveling through gas clouds. It would be interesting if we could tag these comets and asteroids as they pass through our part of the system like hitching a ride. Isn't this what happened with Eros?

www.nineplanets.org...

www.space.com...

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR
I posted on this in the science section HERE
Good to see this from another source . Very interesting subject indeed . One of the posters said this

Originally posted by Bluess
This has been predicted in plasma cosmology a long time ago...!

"According to Electric Universe theory, comets and asteroids are not necessarily of different composition ....". read more about cometshere and here

This is from 2004... So once again plasma cosmology is right in a prediction that "stuns" standard science! this is great!

Thought i would relay it here .

Great links, thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

Hi Aleon,
Interesting thought. Maybe the ice that forms on them is what sheds against the Sun to create the tail. It still seems like the material must have been less densely packed than what one would think of as an asteroid. It seems if the material was that hard, there would have been more damage to the recovery craft, and I remember they talked about very fine dust.

new topics

top topics

join