It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution by mass mutation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I have always had my doubts about evolution. I think the current explenation has a lot of unexplained flaws. Recently i have came across a new theory (new to me, sorry if this has already been mentioned). I came across it researching into the allegded end of the world on december 21st 2012. The theory is that global cataclysms could have cuased mass mutation that may be the cuase of evolution (a global cataclysm is like a global natural disaster or something). It says something about pole shifts as a cuase, which i doubt. But i found something else called geomagnetic reversal (i think that was what it was called). Aparently it has been proved that in the past the north and south magnetic poles have switched ends for a period of time, during which the earths magnetic field is very weak. The radiation that would have came through could be the cuase of the mass mutation thing. Anyway the theory goes on to talk about how the mayans may have known that this will happen again in 2012 and something about mayans temples being protection from the cataclysm. It even goes on to say how dragons and unicorns etc may have existed. The only thing I'm cocerned about is the theory on evolution. Do u think any of this is possible?
By the way, the site is called 'www.survive2012.com'. The site sounds ridiculas i know.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I just read another thread called '2012 pole shift survivlal guide' and there seemed to be a bit of confusion. just to clear this up, to my knowledge a geomagnetic reversal is a reversal of the north and south poles as i said earlier. Pole shifts are different. A pole shift is when the axis of rotation changes to another location. In other words, a geomagnetic reversal is a magnetic change, whereas a pole shift is a physical change.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2300
I have always had my doubts about evolution. I think the current explenation has a lot of unexplained flaws.

Any examples?

The theory is that global cataclysms could have cuased mass mutation that may be the cuase of evolution (a global cataclysm is like a global natural disaster or something). It says something about pole shifts as a cuase, which i doubt.

Mass mutation would still result in evolution.. If something provoking a mutation and made you grow horns in 5 minutes, and it would give you a survival advantage, you would probably carry it on to your offspring, and therefore evolution would be at work.

Viruses tend to mutate at a very high rate, and it is possible for a being to have multiple "quasi species" in ones body - Several different variants of the same virus, that are different from one another. Not exactly what you describe, but I tend to look at it in the same way, since its just some factors affection mutationrates.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I'm only repeating what i read, it isn't exactly coming from me, I just thought it was an interesting idea. As for flaws in the current theory of evolution (these may be a load of rubbish, I'm not saying I 100% believe any of my ideas):
- I don't get how we all could have evolved from bacteria. To my knowledge, bacteria reproduces aesexually. How can something that reproduces aesexually slowly evolve into an organism that reproduces the way we do.
- The animals certain organisms evolved from further down the line are sometimes more environmentally adapt than the current ones. Why has this gone backwards.
I think i have other ideas, but i can't remember them. I've only just got out of bed so i'm still a bit sleepy.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I think it was Alien intervention. Genetic manipulation. We were just big monkeys with some advantages like upright walking and opposable thumbs and a decent capacity to make sensible noises. The UFO's sweep in out of a clear blue sky one day and set up shop. they tag and bag some animals and set to work categorizing and documenting all the genetics they can get thier hands on. Then they start experimenting. Eventually you get Adam and Eve, modern day humans in the garden of eden otherwise known as the alien genetics lab. Not to mention a fair number of freaks, the minotaurs, the harpies, and the whole gamut of cryptozoological monstrosities from the mythologies of man.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
From examining the fossil record it is really clear that there have been Mass extinctions roughly every 26 million years (We are overdue on our next one though!!). There are many arguments as to why these occoured. The reason people believe it was a large meteorite that killed the Dinosaurs off, is because They found a large sediment of Iridium in, which was pretty much distributed evenly everywhere. Iridium only comes from two places, cosmic dust and meteorites. A meteorite impact is really the best fitting scenario because it is believed it threw up enough dust to obstruct the sun for 6 months. The dinosaurs lived off of plants, and without any sun they had no food so they went extinct. However the mammals survived because their foodchain relied on putrifaction and decomposition i.e on recycling dead material. I think the chances of a geomagnetic reversal in 70 million years are high. I think magnetic north has shifted about 3 or 4 degrees since i was a little kid! So i think it is likely our mammalian ancestors experienced one and survived. So personally i think we should be alright, maybe we'll just have to change N for S on our compasses

[edit on 27-1-2008 by spoonbeater]

[edit on 27-1-2008 by spoonbeater]

new topics

top topics

join