It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GW Predictions...Who Are You Going to Trust?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Climate change 'significantly worse' than feared: Al Gore

Climate change is occurring far more rapidly than even the worst predictions of the UN's Nobel Prize-winning scientific panel on climate change, Al Gore said on Thursday.

Recent evidence shows "the climate crisis is significantly worse and unfolding more rapidly than those on the pessimistic side of the IPCC projections had warned us," climate campaigner and former US vice-president Gore said

Source Article

OK, let me get this right.... the best minds on the planet are assembled by the UN to study climate change and determine what it's causes are, what it's effects will be, and what we can do about it...This grand assembly of eggheads is called the IPCC.

They released a landmark report last year that predicted short term and long term effects of GW and provided a range of outcomes based on best case and worst case scenarios.

Now AlGore says that they got it wrong, it's much worse than they predicted. So how competent are these people? Their predictions were incorrect. In this case, it just so happened they erred on the conservative side. They could just as easily have erred in the other direction.

Now Algore apparently has predictions from some other group that there will be no summer ice in the Arctic in as little as 5 years.

Who is making this prediction? Are they as "competent" as the IPCC gang?

I wonder.

[edit on 1/24/2008 by darkbluesky]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Their predictions weren't incorrect only too conservative. There is a difference.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkey_descendant
Their predictions weren't incorrect only too conservative. There is a difference.

Idem!

The IPCC is a fairly conservative position on much of the data coming from climate science. It is the middle way, the hedging of statistical 'bets' to ensure that findings are not overstated.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I wouldn't trust a government agency and that absolutely includes the IPCC. That is a branch of the UN. If the UN isn't qualified to handle Iraq which was a pretty popular believe in the months prior to the Iraq war why would I believe they could handle anything related to science? They can't even handle politics and that is their job. How bout leave the science to real scientists and ignore the IPCC.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
It does not matter which study was more correct, or more conservative. The issue is that it is happening, and happening fast. The question is, what can we(everyone)do to slow it down or stop it?????????

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbluesky

these scientists have been hounded, ridiculed, lost there jobs and some have lost there families for what some have been saying for years. now you are upset that they were too conservative?!!. the pressures are enormous on these people. i live in california, a commutes distance from the bay area and have worked in the computer and network field, and got to know a couple of them that live in the town i do and drive in to work. they are told to keep their mouths shut and not be such alarmists because of "consequences" that might damage their reputation and credibility. and these are not idle threats, many of their friends and co- workers have left the field entirely. many, say in guarded conversations that it is already to late for change, and it is time to start putting money and effort into researching how humans have to become adaptive to whats coming. if you think that is spreading unnessesary fear and worry, that's your problem. i am going to believe the guy who has a masters degree in chemistry and a bachelors degree in geology.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
First, Al Gore is retarded and anyone who listens to a guy that preaches this man made global warming BS and believes him while he flies around in his private jet and kicks back in his jumbo mansion needs to do some more research. Global warming is not 100% caused by man. There are many different factors to include. In the 1970's it was global cooling now warming and then cooling, blahblahblah. Climate change is happening but im not convinced that anyone really knows why, especially a politician with $ signs for eyes.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Funny how things have changed…
The call for stopping “Global Warming” has now transformed to stopping “Global Climate Change”.
Well, me-oh-my. Isn’t this interesting. Especially when one takes into consideration the fact that Global Climate Change is a natural phenomenon. The Earth is NOT a static entity. It is entirely dynamic and independent. It’s a fool’s errand to raise one unto the level of “changing” the Earth.
She has existed before us and will exist after us. Localized, temporal perspectives cannot change this – no matter how hard they try to profit from it.

new topics

top topics

join