It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush calls for $145 billion stimulus package

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Bush calls for $145 billion stimulus package

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON - President Bush on Friday called for about $145 billion worth of tax relief to stimulate a sagging economy and fend off a possible recession.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I know alot of economists are saying that this isn't going to solve any of the financial problems facing America today. But I personally can say that a check in the mail would deffinately help out.
Watching CNN this morning some of the analyst's were speculating that the checks could be anywhere from $800 for a single person up to $1600 for couples.
What are your thoughts about this proposal?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit: :Looks like I got beat to the story. Sorry mods. Please feel free to close and delete this thread. Thank you

[edit on 18-1-2008 by highfreq]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Any time I see the government offering to return some of the money they steal from my paycheck every week, I'm all for it. Regardless of whether or not experts think it will help the economy in the long run, it sure will help the budget in my house.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Now then, to keep the momentum of the tax relief going, everyone just has to go and find some American produced goods to spend the extra cash on

It's also always been fashionable to announce tax breaks for the people in an election year - give the party, if not the incumbent, a boost.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It's not going to make a lick of difference. The market's already lost the 180 point gain from this morning and another 80 points on top of that. Be prepared to see it under 12000 today. $150 Billion is zip when Citibank is facing $100 Billion writedowns on it's own.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Bush will do it again ask for 555 billion.

and return 150 billion.

guess what thats a negative number.

bush sucks i hope he dies soon

he did the same thing with troops.

send in 10000000 troops.

lets 300 go home.

guess what we got screwed.

[edit on 18-1-2008 by NWOmaskedman]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
as it said in the article, a temp boost. With trillions being owed now, whats another hundred and fifty billion. What happens when this wears off. Will that 400 to 800 a year keep you out of the hole. Might buy you another month if you are close to the end before the banks come a knockin. Expect the worse, hope for the best, is all we can do. Will it be enough to hold of depression, only time will tell. As in history, every great empire falls, maybe that time for the US is now, or soon. No one thought the british empire would wall, the sun never set on the british empire, but look at it now. Not as it once was, but still a respectable place, and so will the US, it will survive, you will survive, but the american dream may be gone for many. But like all broken dreams, they can be rebuilt.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I think any program that returns tax money directly back to the tax payer has check in my book

I also don't think it will make one bit of a difference

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
We're far enough into debt now that there is no saving that can be done. Next week China is coming over for a revamp of their country, to prepare it for new tenants. Do them a favor and steam the carpets, clean the windows, etc...

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Yes give me my money, I have paid enough taxes already. They would never do the right thing with it anyway. Show me the money!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
i said it in another thread and i will repost it here to show my thoughts on this subject "i see this getting much worse before it gets any better realy. and this "band-aid" approach wont accomplish much its like putting a band aid over the stump of a severd limb it might look nice but wont stop the bleeding. but at least then they can say "we helped" give me a break. "

this money wont be spent on consumer goods itl be used to pay off credit cards and buy food and gas and pay your bills i highly doubt that many people will find american made goods to spend it on . if it is spent on consumer goods they will most likly be spent at wallmart so they will be used on chinas products sold by a multi-national corp.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
We are in the bottom of the 4th quarter of the game and now with the score 31 to 0 with recession leading and the coach finally decides to send in the first string. So with the stimulous game plan package proposed the score is now 31 to 3.

How many more millions of foreclosers and unsold homes does it take for Congress and the President to get off their duff an act instead of putting bandaids on the injuries of the players. Too little to late tell that to your players and supportive fans. The score is now 38 to 3.

The down turn in the economy did not happen overnite this has been unfolding for well over a years time. Have we been getting the real numbers of what the economy is doing or have the numbers been fudged? I think you know the answer. The score is now 45 to 3.

Instead of going full steam ahead with electric cars as well as hydrogen fuel cells fueled from cracked H20 not oil. Our coach goes overseas and rattles the sabers with the oil barrons and begs for mercy. The score is now 59 to 3.

In a last ditch effort the coach trys to put 3 more points on the board with a field goal from 56 yards out and time running out. The field goal is blocked and the opposition called recession picks up the ball and scores a touchdown as time expires. Recession wins and the final score is 65 to 3.

Now it is at the end of the season and we have lost a lot of games. The real question is should we bring in new players and a new coaching staff with a winning game plan that can turn the team around or stay with the same old policies. Rik Riley

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golack
I think any program that returns tax money directly back to the tax payer has check in my book

I also don't think it will make one bit of a difference

You are right Golack give the money back to the people it is theirs anyway. You are correct the infusion of $800 to each middle class tax payer will only be a tiny ripple hardly noticeable in the economy. This money will go for food, gas and inflation.

If the politicians and our representatives were serious on helping the people they would of acted before now. It is called as you all ready know politics and an election year. Rik Riley

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
US economy is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

It has been reported that the President's Secret Service men traveling with him seemed embarrassed by the eye-popping loads of diamond and gold gifts which they have to carry back for President Bush. They need not feel they have taken too much from their hosts: Bush has assured Abdullah that the King can suck it back out through our gas tanks
www.scoop.co.nz...

Bush has sold USA to chinese and the saudis

[edit on 19-1-2008 by manson_322]

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

seems Bush is preparing to abandon USA....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

US economy is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

new topics

top topics

join