It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

stealth technology who invented it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
just a bit of trivia

Who invented stealth technology where and why? and which country was the first to use it
i want to hear your thoughts on the subject........please

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
the usa probably was the first in the air, but i think the germans were the first to use it in ww2
anyone ever hear of the black panther?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ST SIR 86

Dr. Rashid Zeineh is the man's name. Here is an article for you.

www.defensereview.com...

3/4's down the article talks about your inquiry.

Becker

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
like i said maybe for aircraft but would it intrest you in the fact that nazi's submarine service had 10 u-boat's that had adsic absorbing rubber skin in 1941
in other words stealth for submarines the u-boat in question is the VIIC/41
U-1105

please read the general notes on this site 1/2 way down the page

uboat.net...

and a google earth location states side

bbs.keyhole.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
There isn't really one single form of stealth technology. Like all such concepts, the idea is a slightly organic one that has developed in response to the military needs of the time.

Radar detection reduction systems date back to the 1930s - in fact back to when radar was first employed as a tracking device. For obvious reasons the second world war sparked a vigorous race to avoid radar tracking as far as possible, but the limitations of propeller aircraft in terms of shape, materials employed in their construction and so on and so forth made stealth hard to come by.

However, stealthy planes did not start with the F-117! For example, a 1960s British aircraft, the Vulcan bomber, though enormous, had a very low radar signal - though actually this was more by accident than design.

Initially stealth depended largely on shape, but better radar weeded that out and other technologies are now employed. Not only that but producing stealthy shapes has historically compromised handling and stability (the F-117 being a good example). There are now many many different concepts involved in producing stealth vehicles - acoustics, using non-metallic materials in construction (ferrites and carbon fibres, for example), using RAM coatings - not all of which are on their own particularly advanced, but put together and all working as one have a remarkably good effect.

Not sure about the Black Panther aircraft - my knowledge is that WWII aircraft found countermeasures like chaff more effective than trying to make the aircraft stealthy. Also consider the theatre involved - something like the battle of Britain, which involved dogfighting as the principle means of achieving air superiority would not have had much practical use for stealth fighting, whereas a bombing run on an Iraqi target in the Gulf War is obviously a very different kettle of fish.

Certainly Lockheed made the most obvious developments with the F-117 aircraft, but much of the technology they use is fine-tuned from much older ideas with different uses.

Be warned, inevitably some on these boards will tell you Stealth technology came from back-engineered alien craft that crashed at Roswell, New Mexico. They will not offer any evidence for this claim, on the basis that there isn't any. We were quite smart enough on our own for this one!

My field of expertise does not extend to marine craft - but your points about u-boats may well be correct - their missions probably had more in common with modern day bomber aircraft than WWII fighter planes.

LW

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Actually, I think it was "discovered" quite by accident with the flying wing type aircraft. Flying wings were inherently very small on radar. I think several people made the connection and then developed the low signature shapes further. Also, from a stealthy materials standpoint, it was known that the Mosquito from WWII had a small radar signature since it was made mostly of wood. So, shapes and materials (paints, alloys) are what make an aircraft stealthy (without radar jamming), and not just one person, or country, realized this.

top topics

join