It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible Storm pounding West Coast of U.S

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I am in the Bay Area in CA. That storm was pretty stupid and weak. It wasn't even powerful. All it did was lots of rain and some wind, but no lighting like the weatherman said. It was a real dud and ruin my day by making it boring.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
chopper they apparently had enough wind to overturn some 18 wheeler's in your area, and close a number of the bridges that were oriented west to east.

it seem as though you really wanted to see some lightning though? this area of the county doesn't see too much of that, (the mountains get more)

but lightning in your vicinity is not required to verify the tenacity and strength of this storm, although this is

news.yahoo.com...

a larger slug of moisture is due to arrive in S. cali ( i.e los angelas to sandiego and out to the mountains and foothills by game time in the chargers-titans gams (430 est)

late this evening current NWS forecasts are calling for heavy rain up to half an inch an hour and flooding concerns

this storm was a classic case of a deep pacific system with a deep subtropical connection of moisture plowing thru california on a 200 mph jet stream. only anomaly was the strength (not the track) the "eye" or center of the storm was well north (in vancouver) but the biggest slug of moisture hit far to the south in central california (as usual) and as usual the second punch of the storm will bring cooler weather (lower snowlevels) and focus more of the precipitation further south (however still not as strong as the first slug friday nite in barometric pressure terms) but the side effects due to the flooding potential could be worse.

[edit on 6-1-2008 by cpdaman]

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
As the storm draws to a close , here are some final totals and a couple pictures.

kirkwood CALI 132 inches of snow i.e 11 FEET

also west of san diego and just outside san bernandino lies a beautiful mountain resort called big bear lake. the ski resort base sits at about 6500 feet and continues up to around 9,000.

here is a picture from tonite

www.bigbearmountainresorts.com...

what a snow lovers paradise (and just two hours from L.A and San diego (i am jealous living in FL)

1.75 million had power outages at the peak

www.cnn.com...

but so far no reports of mudslides (finger crossed) . hopefully by morning no major changes have occured

good nite

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I think the levy breaking outside of Reno, then freezing before the cleanup could be completed was probably the worst or most catastrophic part of the storm. Just a bunch of downed tree's here in Portland, nothing too bad this time.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join