It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ban in French schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Confirmist governments, go figure.

The legislation would outlaw "conspicuous" religious symbols from public classrooms, including Islamic headscarves, Jewish skullcaps and big Christian crosses. It is to take effect with the new school year in September.

French leaders argue it is needed to protect the principle of secularism underpinning French society, and to counteract what they say is rising Islamic fundamentalism and a Muslim population that isn't integrating into the mainstream.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
There are stranger things banned throughout US schools. Remember an incident north of San Diego, the principal was checking the girls before going into a dance to make sure they did not have a thong on...hahaha

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It's just stupid. I mean, its perfectly fine to ask people not to publicly preach or pray in school, but it's another to ban something they believe is important. I have a feeling making everyone shave/not wear crosses etc... would have a worse effect on their studies.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Political correctness seems to be getting out of hand.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
It's just stupid. I mean, its perfectly fine to ask people not to publicly preach or pray in school, but it's another to ban something they believe is important. I have a feeling making everyone shave/not wear crosses etc... would have a worse effect on their studies.

what if praying is what ismost important to them and their religion depends on it. You are just sontradictng yourself by saying they shouldn't be able to pray but should be able to wear religious symbols.
when and where has a line been drawn on the religious practices that you put into the two catigories of acceptable and unacceptable.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

what if praying is what ismost important to them and their religion depends on it. You are just sontradictng yourself by saying they shouldn't be able to pray but should be able to wear religious symbols.
when and where has a line been drawn on the religious practices that you put into the two catigories of acceptable and unacceptable.

I agree with Esoterica. How can you tell someone who believes in something so strongly, that they must stop doing it because it may offend someone else? Who has the right to dictate to people what they should or should not find important? On the other hand, if a Christian was in a muslim school (a likely occurrence - me thinks not) would that person be allowed to wear a cross? The debate about religion is just another way to warm the public to one side of the story - this stance was only taken by the french government to provoke a reaction. The propaganda machine is alive and well and takes no prisoners.

new topics

top topics

join