It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Area 51 on SatNav?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I Know this is a really stupid question and I probably know the answer to it already but...

Is Area 51 on SatNavs?

I don't have one myself and for some odd reason the thought just struck me...

Laura x

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
By sat nav, do you mean in-car navigation systems? If so, the answer is yes and no. I've had two built-in car navigation systems. Both indicated the location of the border, though not correctly. The following image shows me crossing the border, but this is at a place where you are allowed to cross the border, just not linger.

www.lazygranch.com...
from page
www.lazygranch.com...

Many of the roads leading to the border of Area 51 and the Nellis range in general are on the satellite navigation systems. Of course, many are wrong.

If you drive around the ranges, you are much better off with a handheld GPS and accurate trails. I've been logging trails on my GPS and posting them. By no means have I logged everything. Here is an example of GPS data to reach Roadblock Canyon:

www.lazygranch.com...
This road is also on my in-car navigation system, though not as accurately represented. It was good enough though.

It is suspected the cammo dudes have aftermarket satellite navigation systems. Look at the lower left corner of this photograph:
www.lazygranch.com...
from page
www.lazygranch.com...
The GPS is at the extreme left corner. The next item is a MRK Edacs radio. I got a good photo of the dude, but they get pissed if you put their photos on the internet. It could cost them their job, and at the least they will have to explain why they didn't attempt to hide their face.

posted on Jan, 2 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Wicked !! I was expecting the answer to be "no... duh !!"

Thats put my mind at rest... ish....

Laura x

new topics

join