It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The planet Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Could any type of animal live under the earths crust way deep down to where we cant go? Or near the core if it could stand such heat? Just wondering like always........ thanks.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
i dont think so because i think it starts to turn into solid rock when going deeper in the ground

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
don't know what you mean by "an animal", but I am pretty sure there is bacteria and other microscopic organisms underground.

also the earth is supposed to have a mantle, which is supposedly impenetrable, so I don't think anything would be under that layer.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
So if it cant be penetrated how do they know what is below the mante? What if there is something down there?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
That is a question that difinatley won't be answered in any of our lifetimes.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I don't think we know squat about what is down there.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I posted this link on another thread the other day.

www.csmonitor.com...

you might find it interesting. It mentions bacteria that can withstand 250 degrees f. and breath rust. It goes to show that life will find a way to exist in all sorts of places.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
really use their heads.

Okay here is the Earth, a big (hot) rock. The same gravity that keeps you on the surface also smashs stuff below you tighter and tighter.

So you have as you go down, more and more force making the rock/mixture harder and harder and then it becomes hot because the little atoms in the rocks cant get any closer together so they start knocking little bits of each others orbits (heat) the more they do this the hotter it gets, sometimes cracks form and hot melted rock creaps up to the surface (volcano) along the way up colder material is burned off and drops down into the vacated spot that the hot rock stew came from, replenshing the pot as you will. When the hot rock comes to the surface it cools and forms a land mass, that latter eons down the road will form vegitation and such.

So yes, there are several layers "underneath" you that can support life ie, water tables, sedimentary layers were worms "could" be. Giant OIL pockets (doubt life would be in there) etc.

But as you get closer to the center the compaction and heat generated turns everything to red hot mess that I doubt any life let alone any solid matter can survive.

Think of a red hot piece of iron being worked by a black smith only about 10 times hotter. Its still as dense as when its cooled but is in a more maluable state. That is what the center of the earth is like.

Everyone who likes to hold onto the idea of a hollow Earth is delussional because they never address where the hot magma/ lava etc would come from.

top topics

join