It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mimic Octopus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I recently watched a programme called Nick Baker's Weird Creatures (UK series). In each episode he investigates strange animals from around the world.

In this episode he investigated the mimic octopus. This a type of octopus that lives in S E Asia and is said to imitate several types of sea animals/plantlife. It's claimed to impersonate up to fifteen different creatures, including flounder, sea snakes, sting rays, sea shells and plant life.

This website has some good footage of it doing its stuff...
www.oceanfootage.com...
They're good quality videos so worth watching - especially the one about a third of the way down of it doing its flounder impression.

If there's something out there that can hide itself this well, both by camouflage and mimicking other creatures, then who know what else could be out there right under our noses.

(Edit: grammar)

[edit on 27/12/07 by Ankhnesmeryre]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I remember seeing a television program a couple of years ago about this creature. The way it could contort its body into various shapes was astonishing. A VERY intelligent creature.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
bump from way old ago, since i havent seen any major threads on it in my searching. just to make sure people know whats out there

join