It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peace on Earth Good will toward men, happened for a day. Christmas WWI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
In a story lesser known, in the year of 1914, Dec 24th, there was a cease fire in the recognition of Christmas, in which the Germans and the British interacted, exchanged handshakes, and demonstrated the Brotherhood of man despite the urgings of their respective commands.

One the eve of the 24th, the British on the front lines heard some singing in the distance.
The song that was heard, was Silent night, Holy night being sung by the German soldiers.
What they saw, was difficult to believe.
The Germans soldiers had decorated a tree with lights, and were singing despite being in a war time posture. The British didn’t know what to make of it.

What ensued was an advance by German soldiers and British alike. Coming together in an exchange of cigarettes, and various trinkets. It was something to behold. With dead bodies strewn in no mans land, these soldiers, both sides weary from battle, withheld their bitterness and their duty as soldiers for peace and friendship. On this day, the will of God, and the teachings of Jesus Christ were seen. That being of Peace on Earth Good will too men.

Christmas day was spent without the chatter of machine gun fire, or battle cries. The British Government, as well as the German command had a problem on their hands. The very soldiers they were using to fight their war, had sipped from a common cup of peace. The visions of the political stances of each soldiers leadership was at odds with the experience going on in the battle field, that of which, we are all brothers.

Threatening severe action against their soldiers, each side, was confronted with a dilemma; How to get the war going again, and how to get each sides soldiers to start killing each other for the pursuits of each sides respective objectives.

When I think about this testimony to the brotherhood of man, the Love that Jesus Christ wished for all mankind, visited a battlefield, near 100 years ago. Despite what the men who were fighting the war had experienced, it was not in the interests of their Governments and 2 days later the fighthing continued. After all, a political ideology comes before friendship, right?

Correction: Universal love of all mankind comes first.

The message of Jesus Christ whose birth we celebrate at Christmas.

Peace on Earth Good will toward men...

It happened once in the midst of a war in the name of Christmas. There will be a day when it will happen for eternity...

[edit on 25-12-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
There will be a day when mankind will realize the futility of war and embrace peace.

What does it take for mankind to see this and reach out to their brothers across borders and cultures.

Heres wishing you all a Merry Christmas, and a reminder, that even in the heat of battle, there was a time when peace was attained; if but for a brief moment.

May Peace Reign.

[edit on 25-12-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this HIFIGUY!

It's funny you posted this story cause I had actually heard it awhile back and was thinking about it today, but I couldn't remember exactly how it went.

Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
it´s a wonderful story. but it still saddens me that these men were still able to pick up their weapons and start fighting again.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Ah yes: I remember this story from long ago. And to this day and thanks to the choir classes taken during high school, I too am able to appreciate singing the first verse to the song, 'Silent Night' (or Stille Nacht) in German from memory, really.

Surely, singing of peace is better the fighting with guns.

The title to this thread should really read:

Peace on Earth! Good Will to Y'all!

top topics

join