It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object around the moon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I can see it here too on east coast U.S.A.The moon is VERY bright tonight.I am definitely getting a telescope with my tax return this year.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This is my first post but I had to say that looks very sweet...on Vancouver Island you can see it on the 2 o'clock side of the moon, if the overcast gives you some time to see it that is!

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
It is awesome to see and we won't get to see another view like this until 2016.

Source

I viewed it with some binoculars just a few minutes ago and can say that you can see mars pretty well, but very small. Sure wish my telescope was here.

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Very clear skies here in semi-rural SoCal tonight, great big beautiful moon.

Mars is currently at about the 2:00 o'clock position, very cool!

I've been looking up at that reddish "star" for more than a few nights now wondering...what the
...thanks for clearing up the mystery!

posted on Dec, 23 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
When I first looked at the object near the moon in the 2 o'clock position I thought it was triangluar. That was even through binoculars. I had my son look at it too and he thought it was round. He investigated it on the web and it is only Mars...what a disappointment. It could have been Santa and his reindeer only an evening to early. We all just have to keep on looking.
__________Merry Christmas____________

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I wish it wasn't raining, I had planned to get some pictures through my 10" Schmidt-Newtonian but alas, no luck. Wish I could just carve a hole in the sky sometimes.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
FINALY something usual that pretty much everyone can see for themselves.

For point of reference, I'm located in Albuquerque, NM USA.

I went out to see what I could see just a minute ago. I'm not sure I'm seeing the same thing everyone else is seeing or not. I saw a bright star like object that was close to the Moon, but I would hardly think it's orbiting.

The object I saw was about 2 - 2.5 times the diameter of the Moon away from it. The object was on the western side of the moon. If facing North that would place it on the left hand side. I guess it had some what of a red tint to it, but it was tough to be sure.

I think, I timed this pretty well. The Moon was directly over head. Made it kinda tough to see because of having to look straight up, but my view was clear and direct.

I'm thinking that as the Moon passes further towards the horizon that the object should get closer to the Moon, but I may be wrong. It just seems that if the Moon is moving past the Earth and the Earth is turning that there would be a small speed difference seen between Mars and the Moon.

I'm headed out to look again.

Edit...

I checked Google Earth to see how things lined up. Sure enough the Moon and Mars are very close together. I took a screenshot to show pretty much what I could see. The relative sizes seem like they're off therefore the distance looks closer, but I've got the rotation and position pretty much right. Only thing is that Mars seems like it should be on the other side according to Google's idea of North.

Google Earth Image

[edit on 24-12-2007 by LazyGuy]

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Your read my mind man about posting this i was going to last night as well, it was so odd to see that object around the moon to bad my telescope is currently mia , wonder what it was? Planet X is here omgggggggggggg

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
i saw somthing orange by the full bright moon last night

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
A very remarkable planetary/galactic configuration occurs on December 23rd and 24th 2007. The configuration on December 23 — Mars, Earth, Sun, Mercury, Jupiter, Galactic Centre — is shown in the graphic simulation linked below; it becomes even more remarkable in that it will be accompanied by the Full Moon (conjunct Mars) at about 2 a.m. on December 24 when a simultaneous Venus square Neptune occurs. It is even more remarkable in that the Pluto/Sun conjunction appears exactly on the Winter Solstice, just past conjunction with the Galactic Centre.

Link below is the view from Mars toward the Jupiter, Mars, Earth, Mercury, Pluto alignment toward the Galactic Centre on 23 December 2007 which occurs just after the Pluto/Jupiter (Heliocentric) conjunction on 23 November 2007. NASA Solar System Simulator for 23rd Dec 2007

Solar System on Dec 22, 2007. What is not shown is Pluto (which would be to Jupiter's right) Saturn, which follows down from Venus, and Uranus and Neptune. Saturn and Neptune form the cross's t-member. It is a 23/12 configuration. There will be a full moon on Dec. 23, 2007
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
The moon and Mars are pretty darn impressive tonight as well. Go out and have a look for yourself.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
For the people who did not get to see the full moon and mars.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join