It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Learner Drivers' data lost... in Iowa.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

UK Learner Drivers' data lost... in Iowa.

news.bbc.co.uk

The details of three million candidates for the driving theory test have gone missing, Ruth Kelly has told MPs.

Names, addresses and phone numbers - but no financial information - were among details on a computer hard drive which went missing in the US in May.

It belonged to a contractor working for the Driving Standards Agency, the transport secretary told MPs.

It is the latest in a series of data losses since HM Revenue and Customs lost discs with 25m people's details.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This raises some very odd questions, namely... what on earth was that data doing in the United States in the first place?

This is a British company with British citizens on its database on behalf of a UK Government agency. So why are three million records (even though they don't contain bank details etc.) being sent abroad? It just defies logic and reason.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I could have sworn (could be wrong though), that unless your specific permission is given, then the government is unable to pass or transport your information out from the uk. I thought that there was something in the DPA that stated this also. Anyone know if this is right? I'm at work, otherwise i would have a butchers meself.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I think that's the case with all data you provide... if it's going to be used outside the United Kingdom then it must be made explicitly clear before you agree to provide said data (that's part of the Data Protection Act, I believe). I can't think of any reason for this kind of information to leave the country... if a backup was needed, why not keep it at the DVLA Centre in Swansea or at the Department of Transport in London?

[edit on 17/12/07 by Ste2652]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

www.abovepolitics.com...

this topic also has relivence to this subject
and also looks at the main impact of these lack in proper security of our information which is suppose to be protected under the data protection act

top topics

join