It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is democracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
one question that always goes through my mind
What is democracy?

a political system where people have money and man power to convince others to vote for them?

A political system where anyone with good contacts can get a good place in a place of authority?

A political system based on Lies where those who can convince people that they are right get the seat of power or influance?

A political system built like a dictatorship but hidden under the name democracy as many countries have shown where laws have been changed so dictators look legit?

what is democracy to you?
since as far as i am concerned its a burnt out ideology where people were suppose to have the power to elect their leaders to serve them.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
There's all sorts of Democracy. What we have in the states is a representative democracy - which is basically, we listen to the promises of candidate X, elect him, and have him for a few years as he breaks all those promises, and then we crapshoot and hope Candidate Y won't do the same with his promises.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Bodrul, I took the time to look up the various kinds of democracies, about 32 in all, give or take, I even read them,, just to make sure...and not one of them matched your definition, description of democracy...

makes me wonder ...are you asking loaded questions for a reason? or is this your way of trolling to get points?...I mean you know when you ask these types of loaded questions the ranks of america haters and america lovers are gonna come out of the woodwork and you get the points boost.

Just seems to me to be a disingenuous way to go about it...you dont truly want a discussion on what Democracy is...you want to pick a topic garunteed to get you major points (what like 30k plus right?)...

I have to say, while some of your previous posts got my ire up, but hey at least it was honest observations you were making...so bad on me for getting angry...now you have sunk to the level of trolls...and that does justifiably get my ire up.

Since you have no real desire to learn how our political system works in the U.S., why dont you just ask the meaningless troll questions about your own country and its politics, or have you not taken the time to understand those as well?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by deadbang

my question is for all
even my own goverment in the UK

the world doesnt revolve around the United states so next time
you want to start an argument think first *(i didnt even say United states)*
unless you think the US is the only democracy in the world.

again i stress this is about Democracies in all countries,

this is my view on what i think democracy has become in almost all countries.

edit: im not after the points
if you dont like a topic
dont reply simple AS THAT

if you dont want a discussion dont bother replying

[edit on 16-12-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Bodrul, point taken, and apologies...I guess I can be as narrow minded as any...

Democracy, by my definition, is the ideal that personal freedoms and personal responsibilities are encoceded into the very foundations of the govenment...that said government provides the ovedrarching necessaties for the people it governs ie...health, education, defense etc...also that said government is elected via a democratic process (representational, direct, deliberative, etc...) and that once the voice of the people has been heard through the voting process, the will of the people is respected.

Theres heaps wrong with every flavor of democracy we use, but it never fails to impress me when you see the peacefull handover of power in a healty democracy instead of a succession of coups lead by the dictator of the month club.

Once again apologies for the misunderstanding, I hope it does not affect future discussions.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
none of the above!

Democracy is an ideal/fantasy...and nothing more.

Makes me laugh cos Democracy differs with each individual. Most Aussies don't even know the National Anthem let alone the Constitution!

So ignorance is bliss...

Democracy keeps the ignorant blissful.

"Everything is alright Jack in my backyard and I only rely on Democracy or the ideal of it when things aren't right in my backyard..."

And then, when I need it, I pretend to know what it is...

[edit on 17-12-2007 by Thurisaz]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

thing is if you look at the last few years and look
at whats been happening in the UK

Cash peers
and then just now the scandle about money from businessmen that were given through third parties.

everything i have mentioned in my first post has been in the UK media about our goverment (almost all things)

all i seem to see in the news is how our leaders seem to get power
but then again they get that power because they have had some ties with some bennifitial people that can give them leverage over others.

Dictors changed laws to make it look like they are legit
Pakistan for example. their president changed laws and so on to make it look like hes legit.

then you have Russia, The new president scracthing the back of the ex president who scracted his back.

and so on,

i do agree

Democracy is an ideal/fantasy...and nothing more.

those who have money seem to hold the cards these days not the people that vote them in.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I particularly don't like democracy and I think its a flawed form of government, I wish people living here in the US would stop thinking that this is a democracy because it is not, we are a constitutional republic with a democratic system.

Some people here in the US think democracy is freedom but its not you have no rights in a democracy you just have privileges granted to you by the will of the majority.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Infiltrator
Some people here in the US think democracy is freedom but its not you have no rights in a democracy you just have privileges granted to you by the will of the majority.

Oh I really liked how you have said this.

Very good... and I agree.

new topics

top topics

join