It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USASpending.gov, Where Americans Can See Where Their Money Goes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
usaspending.gov...

Have you ever wanted to find more information on government spending? Have you ever wondered where federal contracting dollars and grant awards go? Or perhaps you would just like to know, as a citizen, what the government is really doing with your money. The Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006 (Transparency Act) requires a single searchable website, accessible by the public for free that includes for each Federal award:

1. The name of the entity receiving the award;
2. The amount of the award;
3. Information on the award including transaction type, funding agency, etc;
4. The location of the entity receiving the award;
5. A unique identifier of the entity receiving the award.

Wow. I don't know how many of you ATSers know about this site, but if you don't already, here you go! It seems fairly transparent, but you seem to have to know what you are looking for. You have to be careful that when you use statistics, you don't abuse statistics. But I am sure many of you will find this to be helpful in your research.

DocMoreau

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Apparently, there was quite a bit of resistance in the creation of this website. The 'powers' that be didn't think it 'possible'.

The Office of Management and Budget initially doubted the need for or the possibility of developing a single, online, publicly accessible database with all contracts, grants, loans and other transactions. But after Sens. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) and Barack Obama (D-Ill.) shepherded the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act through Congress and it became law, administration officials rethought the possible.

From news article: Federal spending database defies doubters

I imagine that the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act is one of the only 'good' things congress has managed to complete this year. Probably one of the few 'bipartisan' efforts as well.

DocMoreau

[forgot my link]

[edit on 16/12/2007 by DocMoreau]

join