It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is civil war going mainstream?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Why is it I am hearing more references to "civil war"...not in Iraq ...but here at home?

I'll give you a MSM example:

Link.
(You have to click on another link to watch the video...)

At 2:22, Bill Oreilly says, "...But this comes down to the fact that...um...this is civil war in this country about how to fight the war on terror. You're on one side...I'm on the other."

I'm just curious...

Has this type of rhetoric really increased in the MSM? If so, what accounts for the increased use of this type of rhetoric? Is this rhetoric damaging in any material way? Is it rhetoric at all?

I'd be interested in hearing your views.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by loam]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Well, there are several things that will contribute to the coming civil war here in the U.S...

Values
Economics
Sovereignty vs. Globalist ideology

Et cetera

I wrote a rather lengthy thread over what I personally think will be the main factor in creating a civil war. Here is a link to the thread: Declining Middle Class

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Do you yourselves think it could lead to civil war? It does seem to be boiling down to that, the country is so very divided right now on issues. What do you think would spark it all? A theoretical example perhaps that would send us into chaos? Would people even have the effort to begin with? I can see civil war in the sense of politics and such but not in all out bloodshed.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Oh if the Middle class is dissolved in this country,as the government seemingly is trying to do, there certainly will be bloodshed... I think it will be more of a war over economics than anything else, really. Then you throw the whole illegal immigration/ globalist agenda thing on top of that and you definitely have your spark..

[edit on 12-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
but who would be fighting who? it would be mass chaos, and who would take the first shot? I agree these things would be the fuel, but wheres the spark?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I don't really understand what you're asking...
Therte are a number of things that could spark a civil war..

As far as who would be fighting who.. Well, not to be cliche, but I would think it would be a "leftist" vs. "rightist" type scenario.

If you look at the current trend...

Leftist tend to be somewhat globalistic. They seem to think that sovereignty is dead and in their eyes, "good riddance."

However, rightist tend to be abhorrently against globalistic ideology.

Then you coule have the whole Middle Class- Elitist divide thing...

It's hard to say what might "spark" it, but there is no shortage of things to spark it..

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
SpeakerofTruth

I read your other thread.

I'm not sure I agree with your position there. While I have no doubts that the risk of public unrest increases in direct proportion to the economic divide, I'm not sure that necessarily leads to 'civil war'. Moreover, I'm not convinced anything about our current economic reality comes close. But I guess all things are possible...

I realize there are all kinds of scenarios one can imagine for civil war, but what I'm really looking for are thoughts on the specific questions I asked.

First, is it just me or is 'civil war' language being used more often in the MSM (print, tv, radio) and around the water-cooler?

If so, what does it mean? Is this just a 'fad' usage of such civil war language to express one's passion for a particular position? Is this becoming part of the popular culture?

Does that have any meaningful impact or consequences?

Is something deeper going on...now?

[edit on 12-12-2007 by loam]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
First, is it just me or is 'civil war' language being used more often in the MSM (print, tv, radio) and around the water-cooler?

If so, what does it mean? Is this just a 'fad' usage of such civil war language to express one's passion for a particular position? Is this becoming part of the popular culture?

Does that have any meaningful impact or consequences?

Is something deeper going on...now?

Well, the usage of the word is probably more of a fad than anything else. Type in Civil War in the search engine here at ATS... You'll come across such threads as:

Civil War Watch

Mexicans To Start Second Civil War

These are only two of the hundreds here at ATS which uses the term "Civil War."

Is there a deeper meaning? I think that people in this country can sense that things are askew. Of course, when one makes such a comment, people always want to know what is askew. Well, look at the country around you, everything is pretty discombobulated.

new topics

top topics

join