It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I felt this belongs in "Fragile Earth" only for the fact that it was a pivotal point in our history and a point we learned a lesson about what an action like this can lead to. It was the domino effect of this attack that brought about the dropping of "Little Boy" and "Fat Man" on cities in Japan.

I hope everyone takes a moment to reflect on what happened that day in December and the repercussions that followed.

The attack on Pearl Harbor was a pre-emptive military strike on the United States Pacific Fleet base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii by the Empire of Japan's Imperial Japanese Navy, on the morning of Sunday, December 7, 1941 that made the United States enter World War II. Two aerial attack waves, totalling 350 aircraft, were launched from six aircraft carriers with the intent to destroy the United States Pacific Fleet.

The attack wrecked two U.S. Navy battleships, one minelayer, and two destroyers beyond repair, and destroyed 188 aircraft; personnel losses were 2,333 killed and 1,139 wounded. Damaged warships included three cruisers, a destroyer, and six battleships....
en.wikipedia.org...

I really think this was a turning point on our fragile Earth, and a point in history we should never forget. Events that followed this action by the Japanese have forged the world we live in today.

The USS Arizona Memorial is the final resting place for many of the battleship's 1,177 crew members who lost their lives on December 7, 1941. The Memorial commemorates the site where World War II began for the United States.
www.nps.gov...

Take a moment to reflect on the lives lost, and the sacrifices that were made to secure the future you have today.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Thank you for starting this post. I'm posting this in honor of all who served and died on the USS Oklahoma. The Okie gets it's own memorial tomorrow, after all these years.

My father-in-law was stationed on the Okie while he was in the Marines. He lost a lot of friends on Dec. 07 1941. The reason he was not on the Okie that day is due to his medical discharge shortly before then.

[edit on 7-12-2007 to flag and star this thread]

[edit on 7-12-2007 by Sanity Lost]

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
For Sanity Lost I want to add these links for all those that served on USS Oklahoma.

We need to remember those that died that day, but we also need to remember friends and family of the crew that continued on after the loss. More than 400 sailors died that day as Oklahoma rolled over and many of her crew were lost.

I'm heartened to see the Oklahoma will be properly memorialized after all these years.

www.ussoklahoma.com...
www.homeofheroes.com...

www.geocities.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
anxietydisorder, glad you could find the Oklahoma memorial site. I was not able to post the pictures for some reason.

I understand that 16-17 survivors of the Oklahoma will be at the memorial service today.

join