It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masonic Ritual

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 02:14 AM
link   
bigred: If you thinking about asking to join forget what you have read as soon as you can, because there is nothing more fun and interesting than taking the degrees. I'm sorry to see that our ritual work is so easily obtained, but so be it. Reading it or watching it can never compare to experiencing it. For each man the experience is different and holds different meaning, because we all have different levels of awareness and perception, but the common thread is the bonding to others who have themselves traveled the same path.

I have found Henry Coil's different works very informative regarding the side degrees. I recently took the Scottish Rite degrees and have begun a deeper look at the degrees themselves, but through Masonic historian's eyes other than Pike's.

His reworking of the Scottish Rite degrees was monumental, but seems to me to be part of the expansion and diverse growth of the Chivalric degrees that were popularized in Europe in the beginning and middle part of the 19th century. It also seems to me that he was utterly convinced of his own infallibility concerning the interpretations he chose to use in developing the Scottish Rite degrees. He and Mackey both recanted some of their own early assertions in regard to the accuracy of some of their claims. In light of later research by others and themselves many of their claims were changed. The 19th century was a time of rapid growth and change for Speculative Masonry and many different Grand Lodges and Grand Masters in many different countries took it upon themselves to expand and/or create different side degrees. Scottish Rite being only one of many kinds of different side degrees.

This kind of thread is never going to stop around here. But it is fun, entertaining and educational, so I will probably continue to put my 2 cents in. The more I read about Masonry the more tangents it presents. The one constant that I have found so far is that there are no shortage of "experts" purporting to be exclusive experts or the last word on Masonry.

These claims are enough to make me suspicious of their claims from the onset, therefore I continue to read and ask questions of my fellow brethren concerning the validity of these supposed "experts". I am also a member of a research lodge and this also helps me to source information. I'm beginning to outline a new paper shortly regarding the Inquisitions' influence on Masonry in the 15th and 16th century. This is going to a little more difficult than my first paper on the tiler, that's for sure.

[edit on 8-12-2007 by sharkman]

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Thank you sharkman for your reply. I have noticed that there are two types of posts in this thread. Yours is the type that is reasonable and sites information from a variety of authors and/or sources.

I have spoken with many masons about who could possibly be an authority on masonry, and to a man they tell me no one person is an authority. Interestingly I have noticed that generally, in regular life and on this board, non-masons who are not well informed about masonry will quote people like Pike, Taxil, ect. in a way that implies that those authors writings are final. Rather than just refering to thier work as a refrence. I do see a pattern emerging.

Also, a man by the name of Art De Hoyos has written a rather expansive book detailing and explaining the Scottish Rite rituals, it looks to be a good read.

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Where can a female go to join the Freemasons?

Check out the following websites:

www.owf.org.uk...

www.hfaf.org...

www.co-masonry.org...

posted on Dec, 8 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
bigred,

There are many good and thorough histories that have been written about Masonry. They have been written by Masons and non-Masons alike. There are also many bogus and prejudiced historians out there.

Even within the ranks of Freemasonry there is contention and disagreement as to the validity and accuracy of the legends that are used in the degrees and side-degrees. Their are many staunch supporters of the Chivalric legends that pervaded the French and continental Lodges and later made their way into the Scottish and York Rite degree work and also much contention over the validity of the Hiramic legends and the legends of Solomon. The lessons they impart to the candidates are of no less value even if they are being used a props for the imparting of valuable moral lessons.

All of that aside I take the course of an investigator and try to use prudence and discernment to determine my own understanding. It also helps to met others with the same interests and to glean from them as much as possible. Be careful not to lump all the non-Mason historians into the "anti-Mason" camp. Many are not, they are reliable and thoughtful students of history and many are noted and published professionals.

Good Hunting!!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The shadow government goes all the way up to 360 degrees at the deepest levels. the public only is shows the number up to 33.

<< 1  2   >>

join