It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pegasus Document Release #006

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
PROJECT OUTREACH

SP100 Class Nuclear Reactor on the Moon
Gary L. Bennett and Ronald C. Cull
NASA Office of Aeronautics and Exploration Technology
Washington, D.C.

Enabling the Space Exploration Initiative:
NASA's Exploration Technology Program in Space Power
NASA Technical Memorandum 4325

THE SPACE EXPLORATION INITIATIVE SEI

President George Bush inaugurated the Space Exploration Initiative (SEI) with his speech on 20 July 1989 commemorating the 20th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing on the Moon when he stated:

"And next -- for the new century -- back to the Moon. Back to the future. And this time, back to stay.

And then -- a journey into tomorrow -- a journey to another planet -- a manned mission to Mars".

NASA: Technical Report Server - 1992001913 PDF

Time to upgrade the old equipment perhaps?

Here are a few more items related...

SEI Recommondation 5

Incorporate Space Exploration Initiative requirements into the joint NASA-DOD Heavy Lift Program.

govinfo.library.unt.edu...

(It has been implemented - NASA is now officially under the DoD)

In 1997, DoD, NASA, and the NRO created the Space Technology Alliance (STA) to “coordinate the development of affordable, effective space technologies for the greatest return on government funds.” The STA is making steady and significant progress in coordinating government S&T investment in space and has developed a prototype methodology for categorizing space technologies.

Related Federal and Private Sector Efforts.5 Currently identified technology efforts include the USAF EELV, NASA X-33/RLV, Boeing Delta III, Lockheed Martin Atlas IIAR, OSC Pegasus, and several other private-sector startup programs to include teaming with foreign manufacturers (primarily the former USSR republics). The NRO does not develop launch vehicles.

SPACE PLATFORMS

Lunar Base Facilities Development and Operation
by H.H.Koelle 1/1/1992

Abstract

The subject of developing and operating of lunar facilities has been covered widely during the last decades. This report attemps to integrate these various contributions discussing specific details from the systems viewpoint. This is mandatory for the simulation of the acquisition process and the lunar base operation of extended periods. Lifetimes of several decades have to be considered. The functions of lunar facilities are defined and assigned to specific installations. Mass flows between the elements of the lunar base are identified as well as their interrelations with each other and the facility elements. Some initial information is presented on the 14 types of facilities identified. State-variables and performance indicators are defined to compare alternative facility concepts on the same bases. Some illustrative schedules are developed to place the developments expected into a frame of reference with respect to time. A sub-program of Lunar science is described because this is one of the strongest motivations to continue lunar development in the 21st century. The report is closed with some guidelines on how to simulate and compare alternative lunar base concepts over their life cycle. 45pages, 13 tables,178 references.

Lunar Base Facilities Development and Operation PDF Format

Continued next post....

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
So has the upgrade to the Lunar Power Plant already been accomplished?

Space and Surface Power for the Space Exploration Initiative
Results from Project Outreach

By: Calvin Shipbaugh, Kenneth A. Solomon, Daniel Gonzales, M. L. Juncosa, Theodore W. Bauer, Robert M. Salter

This Note describes the findings of the Space and Surface Power panel, one of eight project panels evaluating submissions to the Space Exploration Initiative (SEI) Outreach Program, or Project Outreach. The submissions screened by the Space and Surface Power panel proposed systems that can be classified into at least one of five technical areas: (1) power generation (solar power, nuclear power, fuel cells, batteries, and "other"), (2) power transmission, (3) energy storage, (4) thermal management, and (5) handling. The panel screened 167 submissions and selected the 22 highest-ranked ones for further analysis. The submissions that appeared to offer the best overall potential dealt with nuclear power sources, power beaming, the development of in-situ resources (including the use of solar dynamic power), and thermal management. Some lower-ranked submissions also contained interesting and potentially useful system concepts, and the authors evaluated some concepts not suggested in the submissions, including rechargeable high-energy density batteries, high-speed flywheels, and superconducting storage rings. A number of space and surface power issues became apparent and were examined by the panel members: (1) environmental implications of SEI power systems, (2) use of in-situ materials, (3) nuclear vs. nonnuclear power, (4) start-up vs. evolutionary power needs, (5) manned vs. unmanned system requirements, and (6) development of new power transmission methods.

RAND Document No: N-3280-AF/NASA Year: 1992 Pages: xxiii, 94 ISBN: 0833020099

www.rand.org...

Keywords: Electricity in astronautics; Space vehicles--Auxiliary--Power supply; Extraterrestrial Bases --Energy consumption

Cost: $ 35.50

Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC)
Accession Number : ADA256890
Title : Human Support Issues and Systems for the Space Exploration Initiative: Results from Project Outreach,

Corporate Author : RAND CORP SANTA MONICA CA
Personal Author(s) : Aroesty, J. ; Zimmerman, R. ; Logan, J.
Report Date : 1991
Pagination or Media Count : 131

Abstract : Human support issues hold the key to mankind's future in space. Success in resolving these issues and achieving the broader goals of the Space Exploration Initiative (SEI) will evolve only from a view of human space exploration as an ongoing enterprise where investments in research and development resolve operational problems, create infrastructure for future missions, and provide spinoffs that enrich the quality of American life. Fundamental questions of crew adaptability, tolerance, performance, and survival must be confronted SEI feasibility, continued support, and eventual success. Further, human support issues should be incorporated by life scientists early in (1) formulating preliminary requirements and guidelines, (2) planning missions, and (3) designing spacecraft. This should be done in ways that reflect the best judgment of both the space and life science communities. Properly posed requirements will facilitate the development of robust system concepts and design solutions that can be adapted to new knowledge, not always favorable, from R and D and test programs conducted on Earth and in space. Only in this manner can we identify (and reject) architectures that rely on potentially unstable, overly optimistic design solutions that exist in a narrow region separating feasibility from failure, and that can accommodate only favorable new findings.

Descriptors : *SPACE EXPLORATION, *HUMAN FACTORS ENGINEERING, *LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS, *RADIATION PROTECTION, SPACE CREWS, ASTRONAUTS, SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT, EXPOSURE(PHYSIOLOGY), TOLERANCES(PHYSIOLOGY), SOLAR RADIATION, HEALTH, RISK, COSMIC RAYS, SPACECRAFT.

Subject Categories : ASTRONAUTICS
HUMAN FACTORS ENGINEERING & MAN MACHINE SYSTEM
LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS
PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE

Accession Number : ADA256890

Members of the public may purchase hard copy documents from the National Technical Information Service.

Hmmmm is anyone else 'concerned' that you have to PAY to get public released documents from our Government?

Hey COOL HAND... wanna chip in a few bucks? I 'might' be inclined to leave out the comments... No?... didn't think so...

[edit on 26-11-2007 by zorgon]

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
very interesting stuff so far. can't wait to see more!

Hmmmm is anyone else 'concerned' that you have to PAY to get public released documents from our Government?

not considering i'd have to pay to get copies of any of my personal documents or records. =)

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

Pfft. I wouldn't waste a further dime on this line of inquiry if I were you. There's no proof whatsoever that this reactor was ever built, just as there's no proof whatsoever that any of the patents on the Pegasus Consortium website ever came to fruition.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim_Kraken
Pfft. I wouldn't waste a further dime on this line of inquiry if I were you. There's no proof whatsoever that this reactor was ever built, just as there's no proof whatsoever that any of the patents on the Pegasus Consortium website ever came to fruition.

So just how many of those patents we have listed at Pegasus have you actually looked at?

You couldn't have done very much research to be sure because I even have the patent for the Kältemaschine that Einstein invented... and you prove THAT one exists every time you go get a beer...

Pegasus Patents Archive

:shk:

posted on Nov, 27 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm sure these reactors got built.

Thanks again for the comic relief, you guys are great.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I never really understood the reactor thing myself when you have the Sun....maybe far out in the solar system, but not for the inner planets (IMO)...

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
hey the image reminds me of very much an anomalous triangle structure located some where in the area51/nevile air force base region.

its been mentioned before here,ile have a look for it.

here it is,bares some similarities

notice all the wear and tear trails leading to it!.

[edit on 2-12-2007 by welivefortheson]

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

Yeah, I saw it.

So how's it hangin' there, bro? You ready to join the rebel alliance?

posted on Dec, 3 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Matyas

ahh it is not my destiny to join anyone,i must stand alone and unite everyone!,i see all conflict as tribal or ego warfare!

i am son tzu,war with art,the greatest poet who will ever walked the earth,so i feel just fine on my own thank you very much!.

im to proud to even work,so i suffer in poverty lol!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Zorgon, So what's up with these hackers trying to take down that disclosure material? Is someone trying to close the barn door after the horses have already left the stable?

I have to tell ya, that was some of the best reading material I have seen in a while. You know what I found to be interesting was the report that said there were increase UFO reports around the elections and korean war.

It would be a big attaboy to the NSA if they would put out some more recent reports. Here is the deal... People that report UFOs in todays society are considered to be mental patients. There is a whole class of people who believe in *whatever*... This is more about education than anything.

The Govt needs to take a leadership role here and do it in way that is non threatening to the people.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Nice findings, thank you

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
This is retarded. With all of the advances in newer safer cleaner technologies it is just stupid to move in this backwwods direction for yet another planet in our solar system. Look at the trash and debris we have created around our planet alone, it is shameful.

We have not even learned how to clean up our own toxic waste and now we discuss furthering this maddness on the moon?

It is no wonder why the ET shoot down our current technologies and discourage our participation in the greater galactic community.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

That NASA document was written back in 1990-1991 and I pretty sure we have not been back to moon to install any reactors...

I can see your concern over proliferation into space, but what viable alternatives do we have to run generate a substantial amount of power to run server farms, lasers, communications and other science? I am not sure that in a space environment you aren't getting ambient radiation and the environment is far less protected than on earth... so astronauts are subject to radiation regardless. My opinion is nuclear power sources can be the cleanest power available.. the problem is the proper maintenance and disposal of the spent rods. Maybe solar power is enough to do the job, like the ISS... or do they have a reactor on board??

top topics

join