It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technology: creating lazy or smart humans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I’m walking towards the lunchroom at work, minding my own business, when someone asks, “Whats 7 x 6?” I turn around to see that it’s another department’s supervisor. “Are you serious!?” is my first thought…followed by 42 of course. Good thing the question wasn’t directed at me.

Anyway, this got me thinking. Are people so reliant on technology that seemingly simple task abilities are forgotten? Is technology making people lazy? Are we better off now than we were in the past and ultimately, is this all a BAD thing?

There’s a saying that goes “Don’t work harder…work smarter” I believe that’s what technology allows us to do and disguises itself as laziness. Is it laziness that stops a person from going to the library to do research when they can easily find the same information on the internet? Is it laziness that makes people want to watch TV rather than play a sport…if that’s their preference? Why does ease of effort equate to laziness?

So what do you think? There’s so much information available on so many topics that we can’t possibly know everything. Yes…even simple math, but, for all we know that person who can’t multiply 7 x 6 in their head is an expert at horticulture!...who knows. With all this information floating around, I think its better to know Where to find information rather than actually knowing it, unless of course, it’s your area of expertise.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Interesting words.

I'd say that I am fairly lazy, and I do use technology alot.
But I'd also say that if the technologies I used started becoming fewer and fewer.. I wouldn't really get less and less lazy..

Lazy isnt using the computer instead of going to the library to research something.

Lazy is not researching either way. ^_^

-G

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The example you provide does not show dependance on machines, it shows dependance in general.

If the guy was showing dependance on machines he wouldn't have said anything at all and used the calculator on his computer - and you wouldn't have noticed anything at all.

I think it has more to do with people refusing to be independant, that they feel it's too much of a hassle as opposed to just asking someone or using a gadget.

Well, when the times are finished, there'll be no more of that, unless those who a dependant on others enjoy being hired thugs or prostitutes.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
We have become dependent on our technology. If my computer crashes at work I cannot do my job. I have to sit there and wait for the system to either come back online or the IT folks to come and fix my computer. Thats usually not a problem since they Use Dell Optiplex's which burn up every few months. They take out my hard drive and place it in another Dell and I'm good to go for another two months.

I don't think humans have become lazy, I think we have become dependent on machines. I can do a clean install on my system, I can install a slave drive and upgrades up the wazoo, but I can't grow a plant.

It's not that we are lazy, it's that were all going to starve to death if we actually have to survive without the tech we have.

Our energies were refocused away from survival and into information processing.

It will probably be the end of us all.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I think forgetting a simple maths sum isn't a sign of laziness nor reliance on technology, everyone has momentary 'absence of thought'...'s lol, your brain is divided into many different areas specializing on different psychological activities, and atleast one area is gona get fuzzy from time to time lol, especially the basic ones when you're focusing on other areas of advanced thought.
This is why I think technology is making us smarter, we don't use the majority of our brains, but the more we further our knowledge through technology, the more areas we open up and the smarter we become. This allows for natural development, psychologically, and the more we start to use our brains, God knows what we could accomplish next with this slow evolution.
Humans will always maintain their survival instinct and basic intelligence, but along with the technology we've created, we can become something so much more productive.
Even if a little laziness is encouraged along the way :

[edit on 4-11-2007 by Ride The Spiral]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

I think that it does both. Create laziness and makes us smarter (More informed).
It creates less fit humans because nowadays people seem to view even the most simple of tasks as a "pain". Which is what breeds higher technology.
Its not like technology created this "problem", it just made it more apparent in some people.

Ease of effort equates laziness to an extent (IMO). Its ridiculous to think that "instead of going out to play the sport, I'd rather watch it on T.V." (That is pure laziness). Ease of effort has to do with making things more convenient, laziness has to do with no effort unless its imperative.

[edit on 4-11-2007 by ChronMan]

[edit on 4-11-2007 by ChronMan]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I see technology as both a gift and a curse that can make or break us if we become too dependent on it. Humans are already smart, maybe its making us both lazy and stupid perhaps. Just my two cents.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ride The Spiral
I think forgetting a simple maths sum isn't a sign of laziness nor reliance on technology.

[edit on 4-11-2007 by Ride The Spiral]

I think he is implying the reliance on calculators (Laziness HE is describing), which makes you more susceptible to forgetting those things.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PontiacWarrior
I see technology as both a gift and a curse that can make or break us if we become too dependent on it. Humans are already smart, maybe its making us both lazy and stupid perhaps. Just my two cents.

Stupid in what way?

On the contrary, I see it as us being more informed and easier to make the initiative to get informed ( Knowledge is just a few "clicks" away instead of miles).

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ChronMan

Thats true, I have one of the most powerful databases at my fingertips. I guess what I am implying is like take the register at your local retail store for example, back in the old days it was up to the cashier to know basic math to give you your change back, today however, you stump a cashier or he/she fat fingers the keyboard and adds an extra number, they lock up and get confused because they relied on the machine to do the calculations so much that basic mathematics went in one ear and out the other.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PontiacWarrior

Old days were an inconvenience at the register (IMO)
Computerized version is so much more convenient to the customer (Essential).

And how often are you running into these "Fat-fingered and Confused" cashiers?
I can attest that the only time I ever get stalled at the register (Which seldom occurs) it is infact because of the customer.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
humans have always and will always rely on tecknolodgy to survive, and we will always be reliant on it. but when advanced tacknolodgy is always available, and has bean for as long as you care to remember, your brain no longer takes these things for granted. lulling into a sense of "it will be ok" or "it will always be there so why try to become indapendent of it."

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Haha, when I was in school...there were quite a few things we were required to memorize from multiplication tables, to state capitals, to Presidents, to books of the Bible, to The Canterbury Tales to Spelling Bees.

Ask any kid today if he knows any of those things. He'll say 'no, why should I when I can just look it up'.

However, there's a lot of value to having internal knowledge at your fingertips.

Also it teaches you how to commit things to memory. Even the absolute dumbest kids in my day could spell and multiply in their heads. Now, looks like few can, and even fewer care.

[edit on 4-11-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by captainslowTG
humans have always and will always rely on tecknolodgy to survive, and we will always be reliant on it.

Speak for yourself. I rely on technology (Electronics) as means for entertainment (Sometimes because I have more fun without technology) and information.

But I guess technically, you are correct with the fact that human kinds has always used or invented (not relied) new technology. Spears, charriots, etc.

Your first sentence was really vague.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

I don't think technology lessens a person's ability to retain information, IMHO i'd say it improves it, expanding a person's mind and heightening absorption skills.
I agree that fewer and fewer kids care whether or not they know they know the answer to simple things life throws at them, as they know technology will always be there to fall back on. It such a disheartening thing to think about our generation but hopefully this will have a positive outcome, either by human-instinctive improvements or, dare i say it lol, technology.
Hopefully

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I once had an interesting lecture from a professor of history of technology, and he made the argument that technology has led to people not having to remember as much. For instance, the ancient epic storytellers were able to actually memorize and recite stuff like the Odyssey or other very long stories. These days, with all our technology, we can look up any raw facts extremely easily, and we have no real need to memorize most of them, because if we forget, it's easy to get them.

He also made the argument, relevant to this thread, that technology does not actually make less work for people, and, by extension, does not make people lazier. Think about how much time you spend making your computer do what you want some days...
Think about how much time you spend sending/reading email every day, or browsing the internet for better prices on something to buy for work, or researching something for work. We simply have different kinds of work, now. People used to spend ten hours driving a team of horses to get to another town to sell their crops or whatever. Now they spend ten hours on an airplane to get to another continent to close a business deal.

Now, I realize I'm just paraphrasing this professor, but I agree with the ideas. I don't think people are getting lazier or smarter. We just have different ways of expressing our laziness or energy, or our stupidity or brilliance.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
The grass isnt greener on the other side its the same damn color.

People use tech more now but, more jobs are expected to be completed in less time. There is no way someone with a typewriter 15 years ago could accomplish what a normal business person with a laptop can accomplish today.

The only problem I have is with the speed that our current employers expect us to work.

I feel more and more that I am just an interface to the big bosses money machine. Anyone have the same gripe?

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

just because You cant grow a plant.. therefore if technology goes bye bye.. we all starve to death.

riiight..

reply to post by Ride The Spiral

I was just listening totht song before i logged onto the ats forums. was glad to read your post, too, after seeing your name. ^_^

i dont think the tv analogy applies at all..
i like watching some cartoons.. but maybe i should go and BE a cartoon since i like watching them..?
I like Watching a political debate therefore im lazy because i'm not a politician.. or dont become part of an "official" debate group?

bleh!

keep reading Chronman.. thats not all he said.

reply to post by PontiacWarrior

Originally posted by PontiacWarrior

... you stump a cashier or he/she fat fingers the keyboard and adds an extra number, they lock up and get confused because they relied on the machine to do the calculations so much that basic mathematics went in one ear and out the other.

Eh.. some people are stupid.. that doesnt mean you would stump all cashiers..
it's like your being stereotypical.. too general. are all blondes dumb too? O.o

Originally posted by Ride The Spiral
reply to post by Badge01

I don't think technology lessens a person's ability to retain information, IMHO i'd say it improves it, expanding a person's mind and heightening absorption skills.
I agree that fewer and fewer kids care whether or not they know they know the answer to simple things life throws at them, as they know technology will always be there to fall back on. It such a disheartening thing to think about our generation but hopefully this will have a positive outcome, either by human-instinctive improvements or, dare i say it lol, technology.
Hopefully

your replies make sense, Mr. Ride.
hah but that one makes me think of another older tool song envolving numbers.. ^_-

-G

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by R3KR

My job is Tech Support.. so yes ill grip with you
Make supid people understand in 7 minutes! faster bitch!

if you ever wonder why tech support costs money most places..
work for samsung.. free tech support.. tech my ass.. have to explain to a 90 year old that yellow cord doesnt fn go in green plug..

and pray they still have support in the US.. otherwise they jus go by scripts and dont give a # about you.. if they lose their job they dont eat.

or deal with a business that has ONE printer..
it craps out and they expect u to teleport them a new one NOW
and when you cant they try to escalate on you..

fn rediculous..

i mean.. i use technology a hell of alot but im not reliant on it.
if i run a business i dont rely on one printer.. if i cant afford more than one then i shouldnt run a business.

if i wantto watch tv.. and i cant.. and i cant fix it within a few mins.. i read a book. or something

ill agree with whoever said somethign about tech. being entertaining.. and ill also say it makes me think more in depth..

this board makes me think alot since i read so many peoples ideas.

but if i didnt have access to the internet i would still think alot.. just maybe not so insightful.

im done.. ill go use a lighter to light my cigarette rather than rubbing sticks together.. does that make me lazy? ^_-

-G

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
using a calculator to store data that is useful in this life is not the worst thing, depending on what you do with your extra capacity. there is a sense that life is about social structures helping each other whilst in reality it could be about ourselves trying to get the most out of life.

i worry technology will ruin peoples chance of experience, awakenings and just become a safe zone for your body and losing the reason for keeping safe in the first place.

we worry about technology but we don't know if its good or bad. we know it can be used for both but the consequences of the integration of it are debatable. for example helping to feed the poor against helping the rich to live longer< keeping people educated and entertained against making digitally reliant.

i think we tolerate it and always have as we see the benefits and want it ourselves, next generations will get more access as more people use it. if it was not being shared around or down we would be up in arms.

how we control the progress is a challenging question.

top topics

join