It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Vietnam Audio History Documentary – ATS EXCLUSIVE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I would like to involve the AboveTopSecret.Com membership in something that is very personal for me and thousands of others who were there. This is an amazing 9 Episode audio documentary that was sent to me from a Vietnam Historian and co-creator of this project who is also a big fan of the Radio First Termer Saigon show. It is a journey that takes the listener from the hopeful dreams of President John F. Kennedy, to the bitter end on a rooftop of the American Embassy in 1975. Why didn't we take what we learned in Vietnam to prevent the mistakes that would follow through the battles and conflicts that led to War In Iraq? Listen to these emotional stories of the troops themselves, then make your own conclusions. Once you have listened, please come back and express your thoughts PRO or CON about what you have experienced by these personal stories of those that were there. Through knowledge do we hope to ever understand.

Part 1 – Into The Quagmire

Part 2 – Next Stop, Vietnam

Part 3 – America’s War

Part 4 - Fading Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Part 5 - POW (Prisoner Of War)

Part 6 - Dust Off

Part 7 - The Value Of A Hill (Hamburger Hill)

Part 8 - The Last Run

Part 9 – A Day In “The Nam”

My personal favorites are Part 5, Part 6 & Part 7. I look forward to seeing your posts here on this thread.

Dave

[edit on 11/12/2007 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I can related to those who were injured by land mines. My father was a medic lost an eye courtesy of a land mine in Vietnam . I was rather bemused by references to the innovative use of US special forces. Clearly it pays to read up on military history British and Commonwealth forces were conducting counter revolutionary warfare long before the US became heavily involved in Vietnam.

It is a shame that the Australian military never kept up its focus on jungle warfare you never know when such specialized training and equipment will come in handy.

I forgot to add this quote.

"I saw a rain and sweat drenched man in green laden like a pack mule aged twenty one going on fifty , cutting his way thou the jungle by day to attack the enemy. Then laying all night in paddy fields or on trails in ambush . "
Brigadier Colin Khan.

source

[edit on 31-10-2007 by xpert11]

[edit on 31-10-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Thanks for this DR.

My father would have greatly appreciated it.

Jasn

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Good day Dave,

I want to thank you for sharing this amazing audio set. Granted I am to young to have been part of the era whcih was Viet Nam the letters, excerpts and personal stories of the soldiers who faught during that time is truely amazing.

Being a Canadian soldier I can identify with and understand some of the emotions that were being expressed. It was also very interesting to get a sense of the political turmoil that surounded south Asia at that point in history.

I would like thank you for posting this as we close to Remeberance Day, I give my thanks to the soldiers who have come before me and payed the ulitmate scarafice and those people such as yourself who brought about a glimmer of humanity to a dark time.

Best Regards,

Arcticnull

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Those that us who have served our countries have a BOND. As I told ADVISOR in our interview from Iraq....... those that have never had their lives on the line or faced death on a day to day basis, will never know what we feel. Even in times of peace when there is no war zone to walk through on a daily basis, there is still that BOND.

This series, even though it is about the Vietnam War, had numerous allies who fought side by side. The Canadians, Koreans and British to name a few that I served with personally. Some were there in an advisory positions (non-military) while others were there standing a post.

I'm glad you have enjoyed the series. It really is amazing.

Dave

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
IMO South Korea role in the Vietnam war has been over looked I have never read of that country's contribution in any books or articles this despite the fact they made up the 2nd largest allied contingent in Vietnam. There is a lot left to be written about the war and I hope that this can be done before all the veterans of that war have died of old age.

It is very ease to write about wars that won outright but it is much more difficult to write about wars that your country lost or failed to win decisively that why the Korean war is known as the forgotten war.

[edit on 7-11-2007 by xpert11]

top topics

join