It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmates play major role in fire fight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Inmates play major role in fire fight

news.yahoo.com

They've stolen cars, used drugs and forged checks. When California is burning, they fight fires.

About a quarter of the 14,000 firefighters defending homes and businesses in Southern California from wildfires have been prisoners, officials said. Of the 4,400 inmates trained to battle fires in the state, 3,091 were on the front lines Friday from Lake Arrowhead south to San Diego.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
At first i was outraged at this until the details came up. There are conditions set that outline who is eligible and those guidelines seem appropriate, at least to me. Apparently this has being going on for decades. Given the scenario in California I'd say everyone who can help and in this case inmates included, should be welcome. How comfortable are you with criminals fighting fires and performing a community service?

brill

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This is a common practice. Prisoners have been used to do the work of the state since the State has existed. I think its a good thing, as long as they aren't abused.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It is fair enough. I believe public service should be considered highly in their parole/jail times. I'd like to see much more of this. Considering the majority of inmates are drug offenders, not mass murderers.

posted on Oct, 27 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I like this idea. Keeps prisoners busy, gets them some useful skills, and accomplishes some useful work. Works all around, I'd say.

new topics

top topics

join