It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian? Athiest? Muslim? Buddhist? Agnostic? Who cares?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Let me start off by saying that I have been a Christian since I was old enough to make that choice…since then I have read and studied and investigated many different things and now I have come to the conclusion that I (key word-I) believe there is a god. As to what holy book to follow? I will never know. I do believe in a higher power, I believe I have felt his power and his presence. But I guess im a little confused so far. The point of my post is to simply point out that I have seen many threads here about debunking the bible…or absurd ones about evil gays and just a bunch of theories, statements, ideas, but everyone seems to have a chip on their shoulder towards their opposing group of people. I just don’t understand I guess. Why is it that atheists want to disprove the bible so badly? Cant you not believe it and just leave it be? Also hearing about how people who believe in god are just weak and simple minded people who are easily controlled. Well personally I have come to know A god by personal experience and that is where I get my faith.

Also it seems that when people talk about god they automatically think Christian, as if the christian religion is the only one that speaks about a belief in god.

To the Christians on ATS…I have seen several posts from “Christians” and it really makes me sick. First I read all the ones by atheists and so forth and always got frustrated at the level of dislike they had for people with faith, but then I read the ones from the so called religious and I can understand. PEOPLE….we are not going to think alike. CHRISTIANS….stop condemning gays and judging people for you are only committing a sin by doing that…don’t you understand? You feel compelled to preach the word and recruit souls but the way you go about it completely turns people off to ever opening their ear to you. we should be able to respect people and what they believe without getting a problem with why they believe it. Christians shouldn’t dare try to tell homosexuals that they’re love isn’t valid because the bible says so. You are sinning just as much as you are ACCUSING them of sinning (not that they are) quit being self righteous and narrow minded, stop staying away from things because you aren’t comfortable and then condemn people to hell later, you are making it so much harder for the GOOD ppl of faith to live because there is a generalized idea of us all. As for me, im bi-sexual..which is what makes me question that good holy word I once put all my faith into (not that it doesn’t have good moral lessons) but im not bi-sexual because I was abused or molested or need help! I read that recently on this site and it made me sad that people would think of themselves that highly to even offer such a statement. Who do you think you are? So from a person of faith to all you others of faith, please stop because even I am disgusted with you. Can we not Learn from each other and listen. None of us can prove the meaning of existence or any of our theories so until that day can we all just respect each other a little more.

Sorry for the rambling, I have a strong point but it doesn’t seem like I can get it all out how I intended.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by time4chg07
Let me start off by saying that I have been a Christian since I was old enough to make that choice…....

Also it seems that when people talk about god they automatically think Christian, as if the christian religion is the only one that speaks about a belief in god.

To the Christians on ATS…I have seen several posts from “Christians” and it really makes me sick. First I read all the ones by atheists and so forth and always got frustrated at the level of dislike they had for people with faith, but then I read the ones from the so called religious and I can understand. PEOPLE….we are not going to think alike. CHRISTIANS….stop condemning gays and judging people for you are only committing a sin by doing that…don’t you understand?

Perhaps you need to do more study. It is God himself that condems GAYS. Pointing out that homsexuality is a sin is not judging, it is repeating what God says.

I would suggest you have never really been a Christian. If you have been, you would be much less confussed. I would suggest you read starting at Gen 1.1 and ending in Revelations..............

Calling ones self a christian does not make it so...........

It takes both faith and action.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
You must have not thoroughly read my thread, since I said that I was a Christian…and please, do not question whether I was or not, because you do not know where I came from or what i have been through. now I only believe in the higher power of a god. I do not believe in Christianities ways. The gay issue was not my point. My point was people like you who have to immediately come on here and attack me for only asking if there could be a little more respect but instead I am told to read the whole bible, which believe me hun, I have. And yes according to the bible homosexuality is an abomination, im aware, I am not talking about organized religion when I say I believe in god, I am saying, I independently believe that there is a god…and that he has been distorted through different texts to promote what people or leaders thought was right at the time. But again, I don’t know for sure. And yes I am, was, a Christian and I got confused because what the bible said did not make sense to me in certain areas.

If someone has a reply to what the meaning of my thread is for then that would be appreciated, I do not need to be criticized, for that is why I posted this in the first place…to try to make people see that we shouldn’t be arguing about this kind of thing.

So astmonster, you can leave that superior tone and bs outside of my thread because that’s exactly what I was trying to steer people away from. notice the humbleness and normal tone of my post. I do not need you questioning my faith and its clear you did not fully understand what I said.

Also once again, why because i say i believe in god that means im a christian...christianity, and all other religions are just organized groups of people that believe in a god, i do not belong to one of those groups thus far.

Christianity is only one form of believing god, the word, etc...

[edit on 25-10-2007 by time4chg07]

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
and even if it is GOD HIMSELF (according to christianity) astmonster, that condemns gays? are we to play god and tell them of this, tell them that they are sinning and that god believes they are an abomination? do you not see my point? is it that hard to grasp? you should not go point out the speck in your brothers eye while the log is still in yours. You should not force your views on people and tell them they are wrong becasue they love the same sex...thats ridiculous and even if it is wrong "let the one with NO sin cast the first stone." hey, while your reading the bible from gen 1 to revelation, why dont you study those verses also, besides the one you use jsut to judge people.

I hope someone can see where i am coming from

again, i dont want this to be about gays but:

If a man has sexual intercourse with a male as one has sexual intercourse with a woman, 1 the two of them have committed an abomination. They must be put to death; their blood guilt is on themselves.

yeah, that makes a long of sense (sarcasm) why would such an understanding god say that...now that doesnt mean i dont believe in god because of that, because this is just the writing of a man.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The bible was written by people with their own agenda, with their own views on how life should be. This is not 'gospel', if god wanted these things done then why doesn't it appear and make its views apparent to the whole world - it always amazes me that god only appears to one person who is charged with trying to make the whole world understand. This sounds awfully schizophrenic to me with nutjobs hearing voices in their heads or having hallucinogenic visions.

It also amazes me how so many 'christians' don't follow their doctrine (but then again with nearly 40,000 denominations who can say which one should be the correct one) So for anyone to profess the 'truth' they're needing sign themselves into a mental institution (which is where most of the biblical writers would be if they tried any of this crap now). The bible should be viewed as nothing but a fictional novel wriiten to try and convert people to a way of thinking.

In regards to the OP I totally agree, who cares what religion people are what matters is how we treat others around us. We don't need religion to be kind or good to one another, religion doesn't have the moral high ground.

Religion is just another divide that causes conflict.

G

new topics

top topics

join