It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientology tells parents with children: "Friendship, NOT authority is best"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
NO means NO!!! in my house. Plain and simple.

Rules are inforced for many reasons.

To always allow a child 'what ever he/she wants', is in my opinion:

Bad, bad, parenting

LINK

I wonder if there is a cut-off point to allowing these kids everything their hearts desire; regarless the consequences?

Is it any wonder that ALOT of kids today, are ending up in jail, juevie detention or otherwise?

In most cases, not all, the parents are to blame

Mind you, there are wonderful mothers/fathers out there, who try their damnest to raise their children properly, and somehow/somewhere, the child starts marching to the beat of a bad drummer.

Then we have to re-direct the finger of blame at this point.

If we were all to take the parental approaches of TomKat..I seriously forsee nothing but total anarchy on the horizon.

[edit on 21-10-2007 by TheDuckster]

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Well, we all knew scientologists were weird.

Kids require lots of love, and firm guidance, with a chance to make their own choices in a safe framework.

My ex must be a scientologist, the way he raises the kids. :shk:

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I've seen plenty of non-Scientologist parents give in to their children too! Scientology is not to blame here. The parents are !!

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Tom Cruise strikes me as a bit of a nut, anyway. o: He hasn't been in a movie I liked since Interview With a Vampire, and even then I had a lot of complaints.

As for bad parenting.... I don't know how I turned out as well as I did. The worst punishment my parents could inflict was a stern lecture, but I still consider myself to have one of the most well-developed senses of right and wrong I've ever known in someone my age. (Or maybe that's why my right-and-wrong is so well-developed.....) I have no qualms about following reasonable rules, and the most illegal thing I can be accused of is occasionally going 65 in a 55mph zone.

I agree completely that giving kids whatever they want just so that they'll be happy is ridiculous, and that certainly isn't what my parents did with my sister or me.

I think it really might be more a case of bad parenting than that scientologists all have no idea how to raise kids. I'm not saying I think they're right. No offense meant to anybody, but I just don't see how scientology is supposed to make sense. In any way. Ever.

It takes a careful combination of being friends with your kids and being a firm disciplinarian when it's necessary. I think that's why my sister and I turned out so well, and enjoy such a great relationship with our parents.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

Boy do you have it wrong TheDuckster.
You post a link to an article that quotes unidentified sources that say Tom Cruise said these things. The story says "it has been claimed", and "a source said", but never says who is claiming any of this.

From personal experience children in Scientology families are encouraged to contribute to the family and community, and yes, they are disciplined. Scientologists just don't beat the crap out of their kids like so many other people do.

I've found most children in this church to be well behaved and respectful. Teenagers in the church rarely get involved in drugs or alcohol abuse, and they don't run the streets in gangs or want to bust a cap in your ass.
I don't ever remember an un-wed teen being pregnant, or any of them being treated for STDs.

Scientologists teach a very high standard of ethics to their children, and they don't run wild or get away with anything they want like that story claims.

posted on Oct, 21 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This guy is just about one of the funniest people I HAVE EVER SEEN!!

Just a different point of view on a sticky situation.

And Yes my wife knows KUNG FU and she beats me too!!

EDIT: ADULT LANGUAGE (in context)

Enjoy!!

MonKey

[edit on 21/10/07 by ChiKeyMonKey]

top topics

join