It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we didn't evolve vision, would we know of the existence of light?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I thought just popped into my head.
If we never evolved the sense of vision, would we know light exists?

To us light plays a central part in our understanding of the universe. Its used as a constant in many of our founding theories in science. However, if we could never see, would we know it was there? Would we have looked for it?

Sure light is just radiation, and we can detect other forms of radiation at different levels that we can't observe, but we study these because of the effects they produce. Does light produce any other effects that we could detect without vision? Quantum physics, gravity, dark matter etc. are all concepts that we try to understand by either the observation of their behavior or the observation of their effects. String theory, multiverses etc. are concepts that we have created based off no observable evidence other than the existence of the universe itself. Could we ever prove these concepts if we are never able to physically detect them?

This make me wonder that there may be other concepts that we can only ignore, just because we can't observe them. Maybe we are missing something that is an integral part in understanding the functions of the universe.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Toasty

There are forms of light we are unable to perceive, because we haven't evolved the right kind of vision.

We call these kinds of light radio waves and microwaves. They are varieties of electromagnetic radiation, which is what light is too.

Does that clarify your question or not? At least it should give you something to think about.

posted on Oct, 19 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
If evolution never gave homo sapiens the sense of sight, then i can't see why we would ever know light exists. I mean, our reality is bathed in light. It's everywhere, and makes observation possible. Without the sense of sight, we wouldn't really be able to observe light. I would say that it's possible we could detect light as a form of radiation and maybe become aware of its existence then, but i really don't think we would be as intelligent as we are today without the sense of sight. Without the sense of sight, i don't think we'd have the capability to create anything that could measure light in a way other than physical observation.

join