It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN official detained in Somalia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

UN official detained in Somalia

news.yahoo.com

The head of U.N. food agency operations in Mogadishu was taken away Wednesday by 50 to 60 heavily armed government security officers who had stormed the U.N. compound in Mogadishu. Interior Minister Mohamed Mohamoud Guled denied government officers carried out any operation at the U.N. compound. He added that the WFP last month distributed food aid without consulting the government, a reason that the government has used to block distributions to areas perceived to be against the government.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
shabelle.net
news.bbc.co.uk
www.cnn.com
www.reuters.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Somalia Government Authorities Force Media Network Shut Down Through Terrorism

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I just don't know what to say...

I mean, supporting the government that uses these kinds of crimes, IMO is just not progressive to the peace and stability movement for this Horn of Africa nation.

It does not help that the government is mostly supplemented by the foreign occupying forces of Ethiopia, so in all honesty we cannot rule out much of this is at the order of Ethiopia itself.

Sad sad world we choose to ignore...

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I am just curious, but.. isn't attacking peopels food supply a war crime, and crime against humanity? I could swear that is somewhere in the geneva convention?

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well, probably, but there seems to be a long history of genocides and war lords robbing the people in Africa. I think the UN is pretty powerless.

I havent really checked into it because Im afraid of what I will find, but... yes. Its not pleasant down there.

[edit on 17-10-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I am just curious, but.. isn't attacking peopels food supply a war crime, and crime against humanity? I could swear that is somewhere in the geneva convention?

It seems these days it is only if it's politically convenient.
IMO, this should be leading the headlines but at least we can all still read about the president of France getting a divorce which i'm sure is much more important /sarcasm off

[edit on 18-10-2007 by Anjin]

top topics

join