It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hidden Ingredients -- Don't Be Fooled By Food Labels

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   
it doesnt mattter what you eat...

it matters how much you eat of it (servings) HOW often you eat it...

and how much you workout...or just stay active...

a person who doesnt do any excersize is going to be worse of even if he is a vegan... than the guy who runs 5 miles a day and lifts weights who is eating a steak pizza and smoking a cigarette...

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Actually, not eating their food says a lot to the company. boycotts are the consumer's way of telling the company to change their ways. Not only that, but it helps the public become aware of what's being put into their food. Look at the issue with Tab soda. Now, almost no one drinks it anymore because of the artificial sweetener they put in it was linked to cancer. Now the parent company no longer manufacturers as much Tab soda.

People who don't care and continue to buy the product are supporting the company and helping it grow and continue to do what it is doing.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla
Do you know what makes me mad- People who cares less about their health. Go ahead and drink soda's, smoke cancer sticks, and drink to your hearts content. Whats the matter with you people?! People can live up to 120 years old if they take care of themselves. Even says that in the Bible.

first, extra large LOL at the 'it even says so in the bible'.

why do you get mad about how other people treat their health? it is absolutely none of your business. NONE.
i can see if someone is puffing their smoke in your face but what the hell is it to you if i suck down a 2 liter a day? are you paying for my 2 liter? nope.

who cares what you could live to? people have a right to live their life how they want. people have a right to put whatever they want in their body.

i don't smoke cigs. i think it is a nasty poison. i also don't drink as i think that is even worse. i sure as hell do not get 'mad' when others do though.
go right ahead.
i indulge in things others don't but it has nothing to do with them...

some people like to excercise and eat uber healthy. others like to kick back and eat tasty stuff even though they know it is not the best for you...
who cares who does what?
life is way to short to be worried about what other people consume.

while we are talking about foodstuffs though, does anyone know what sodium erthobate is?
i think that is how it is spelled.

i have been reading labels lately cause preserved meat gives me a migraine and i have noticed that most of it has sodium erthobate in it but it is not limited to meats.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
My family has been partially hydrogenated oil free for 10 years. I personally started avoiding it 20 years ago, but my wife is more effiecient at eliminating it from the house. For years it meant having to cook many things from scratch or go without. Recently there has been a trend by food manufactures to remove it, although it took some pressure. Many have successfully found healthy alternatives. There are some that have gone to interesterified vegetable oil, which happens to be worse than partially hydrogenated oil. There's a lot out there on it already. Just google 'interesterified vegetable oil'

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
while we are talking about foodstuffs though, does anyone know what sodium erthobate is?
i think that is how it is spelled.

Sodium erythorbate is the salt of Vitamin C. It's an anti-oxidant...

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

so i'm thinking that is not the cause of the headaches then...

all i know, is there is something in hotdogs and some preserved meats that give me pounding headaches.

can not eat dogs at all.
i bought some hebrew national but i was scared to try cause it had the erthobate in it too.

you know of anything in meats like dogs that could give one a migraine.?
i am prone to them anyway but there is definately an ingredient that triggers it.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   

all i know, is there is something in hotdogs and some preserved meats that give me pounding headaches.

Sodium nitrate. It's in processed meats and it triggers migraines.

can not eat dogs at all

Me neither. I don't get migraines, they're just NASTY.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

thanks man
gonna start to pay attention to the sodium nitrate...

get you some hebrew national dogs man...they're good.
i don't know if they have the soduim nitrate in them though...erthobate, yes

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Monosodium glutamate is also a hidden ingredient.
I'll bet some of you avoid MSG, but still buy it and consume it not knowing it is also known as:
www.msgmyth.com...

Hydrolyzed Plant Protein IS MSG!
See link for more AKA's

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   

get you some hebrew national dogs man...they're good.

Yeah, I dunno. Something about them is just gross, maybe it's not knowing what parts are in it, lol. I admit they taste good, it's just psychological I guess.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Monosodium glutamate is also a hidden ingredient.
I'll bet some of you avoid MSG, but still buy it and consume it not knowing it is also known as:
www.msgmyth.com...

Your site is wrong. Monopotassium glutamate is not MSG. It may be chemically similar, but it is not identical. Anybody who took Chemistry in high school can confirm this for you.

Furthermore,

The book, Battling the MSG Myth, will simplify your life by giving in depth facts about these hidden substances and the common foods in which they are found. Find tips on label reading, shopping, and cooking. Enjoy good eating by learning how to avoid all the common foods and supplements that contain MSG, aspartame, L-cysteine, and sulfites. Learn how to substitute healthy alternative products that can be found in most supermarkets.

Do you place your trust so easily in somebody who's trying to sell you something?

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
whats more organic than eating crushed bugs... hmmmmm. crushed bugs.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I think the FDA, in collusion with the food industry is the enemy in many cases.

They set the standards and can allow things to slip in to the food supply, such as the ludicrous 'allowable amounts" of contamination, insects, rat feces and so forth. (of course it's better to have allowable amounts than to have unlimited - it's probably impossible not to have some contamination).

On the food surprises page that ahinga posted it mentions how they can allow MSG to be added: (actually quoted from the Wiki page on MSG) (emphasis added)

Under current FDA regulations, when MSG is added to a food, it must be identified as monosodium glutamate in the label’s ingredient list. If however MSG is part of a spice mix that is purchased by another company, the manufacturer does not have to list the ingredients of that spice mix and may use the words flavorings or spices. Even food that uses the no msg label may therefore have MSG that is added from a spice mix from another company under current FDA regulations.

The Wiki page also has a list of foods which contain MSG:

o Canned soups;
o Flavored potato chips;
o Beef and chicken stock (bullion);
o "Instant" foods (like noodles), and
o virtually all fast foods.

Basically it appears that they process the food they leech out all the flavoring and then add it back chemically by putting things like MSG in the food. In addition they have the added "advantage" for the food company because those kinds of flavorings add to the 'can't just eat one' addiction.

I'd like to see a top to bottom overhaul of the FDA, myself.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Just wanted to add that the dangers of these kinds of food additives and preservatives s are magnified by eating a diet of mostly processed foods, since each 'instant' food, fast food, or other stuff that comes in boxes each contain their own allowable levels, making it additive. (duh).

Remember my remark, if you will, about 'reality hacking' and the grocery store:

All the good stuff is placed on the outer walls of the store - vegetables, cheese, milk, meats, fruits. All the 'processed stuff' is contained in the center aisles.

This is probably a pre-planned attempt to cause shoppers to buy stuff through the magic of 'impulse buying'. They have to go to the back of the store, passing all the cookies and snacks and stuff to get to the milk or meat or fruit.

2 cents.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Does anyone remember how good fruits used to taste when we were younger? I was born in Ukraine and my grandparents owned their own farm/orchard, so I would run around and eat various fruits like strawberries, apricots, mandarins, and the like. Everything there was so much better tasting for some reason, and no my memory is not messing with me I recently visited and they do indeed taste a lot better that the superreprocessedgeneticallymodified crap they have here. Not to mention that whenever I eat at a restaurant(no more fast food for me) or anywhere in general I get hungry again about 30 minutes later. No nutrition at all is left in our food and it just makes me sad about the world.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join