It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misplaced 'not' in Arkansas law allows babies to marry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Misplaced 'not' in Arkansas law allows babies to marry

www.cnn.com

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP) -- An error in a new law that allows Arkansans of any age -- even toddlers -- to marry with parental consent must be fixed by lawmakers, not an independent commission authorized to correct typos, a judge ruled Wednesday.

The law, which took effect July 31, was intended to establish 18 as the minimum age to marry, while also allowing pregnant minors to marry with parental consent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-10-2007 by TheoOne]

[edit on 13-10-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Uuuuhhh, what? I've no comment on this one.

What do you think about this?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-10-2007 by TheoOne]

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Do you realize that until this is fixed, it is in fact law?

Wanna put a bit of conspiracy spin on it...?
What if this wasn't an accident, but rather the intentional action of someone (or on behalf of someone) who wanted to marry an underage girl? Until this is fixed, it's perfectly legal to marry a 12 year old in Arkansas.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I've had ancestors that married at 14 years of age.

apc

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Most people do. It used to be perfectly normal. Still is in some cultures.

I wouldn't worry about 12 year olds getting hitched. The parents still have to sign off on it, and a license still has to be granted. If the license were denied and a suit was brought, I don't see any judges actually permitting it. If the judge in this report is any example, they seem pretty rational about the situation.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

Conspiracy spin:

If a parents can give consent to a child getting married.. does the child have to consent as well or just give a terrified nod? Would there be an age limit [on the adult] and could this be a way around stat rape and pedophelia laws? Sounds like this law may allow parents to marry off their 12 year old daughters [for a fair exchange] to dirty old men. They can't vote so could this be a way to legalise slavery?

[edit on 13-10-2007 by riley]

top topics

join