It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does everyone else think about this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Just something I came across while surfing.

www.nypost.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Do you think that this is going a little bit too far?

Here are some of my thoughts on it at the moment.

The Department of Education disagrees - and says school Principal Joseph Zaza is within his rights to ban costumes on the premises...

Of course he does. He should be able to do so as it is his job to see to it that the school is performing in the way it is expected to be.

Schools...can require students to remove clothing that "interferes with the learning process," and if students refuse, they can be suspended for up to 10 days.

Normally, on a regular day, I would have no problem with this at all. The students are there to learn. A part of that is that when they graduate and become a part of the working class, some of them will be expected to dress in a manner that is required depending on the work they are doing. Some occupations have more requirements, some have less, and I would think that School would be a good way of preparing them for that, so on any normal day, yes, I would agree with that policy.

When it comes to Halloween, however, there I have a little bit of a problem.

they are "disruptive to the educational process."

Does anyone happen to know the average number of days a student will not attend school each year for whatever reason? (Doctors appointments, Stays home sick, Family emergencies, etc.) I would think that the amount of those days would be a much bigger distraction to the "educational process" than one day of having people dress up in their Halloween costumes.

Last I checked, Halloween is only one day. Would that really make that big of a difference?

I have purposefully left out the fact that the costume in question in the article was that of Hitler. As I said, these are some of my thoughts at the moment. I have more, but I'll keep them to myself for now.

I was just wondering what others thought about this.

join