It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plants Communicate to Warn Against Danger

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
"The Trouble with Tribbles"

I loved that episode of Star Trek.

Same time frame 1970ish my Mom told us that she had just learned of an experiment where they had discovered when Tomatoes were sliced they scream...

We were eating tacos that night and needless to say it was weird.
I have always been in tune since that time with the life force of even the smallest blade of grass.

I always thank the food for growing to nourish my body and have taught my kids to ask permission and always thank a plant before picking, its just good manners and then when you become what you eat it is a balance of giving and recieveing.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

How do plants talk to each other? When a leaf is mauled by caterpillars, the rest of the plant network is warned by an internal signal to boost its chemical and mechanical resistance. That resistance actually makes the plants' leaves hard to chew on, so they become less desirable to a predator. "This is an early warning system, very much like in military defense, but then more effective. Each member of the network can receive the external signal of impending herbivore danger and transmit it to the other members of the network," Stuefer explained to LiveScience.com. The attacked leaf is lost. However, the remaining leaves are protected against predators."

I myself have over 40 plants. People give me plants when their "season" is supposed to be over. Some of them are two years old and are supposed to be outside only, but they keep growing and reproducing! I have no problem feeling plants energy and I just do not understand why some scientists wonder if man is the only intelligent life on Earth. I also feed alot of birds year around, and when I watch them, I see the little ones playing just like children do. All different kinds and none of them have declared war or have any problem getting along and eating woth each other. Makes me wonder if man is even the most intelligent on Earth. Socially I say not so much.
So much potential and the birds do a better job.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
These are chemical reactions, not any evidence of sentience or a perception of pain at all.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

There's a professor who was on coast to coast this year who claims that you can attach an EEG to a plant, monitor it's functions, and gather data on your environment that you wouldn't believe.

For example,

He used a plant to track down a spider placed in another room. A group of students went looking for it, and he essentially watched the graph and said "getting warmer. close! close! getting hot!" and lo and behold, the students found the spider exactly then. The plant somehow "feels" things going on, and reacts to it.

This is a simplification, but you get the idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join