It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flash Supressors?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Anybody got any ideas about DIY Flash Supressors?

I have a Hunting Rifle... Ghillie suits that resemble the environment (used for paintballing) and a shelter/property that is fully functional w/o outside help... (stream for food many deer HUGE garden.... etc...if u got fire... ur fine XD)

and.. during Situation X i am NOT going to rambo it... because that is how you die... i dont have an aresenal.. but i have a sidearm... and a hunting rifle... with alot of ammunition... i am accurate and have proper training... so thats not an issue...

my issue is... how could i make a DIY Flash Supressor...

if my group of survivors.. (murdered the spelling..) is invaded... and i am ''sniping'' (dont knwo what else to call it) ... i dont want my enemy to kill me because they outnumber me and saw the flash of my rifle :|

(is this in anyway a bad ideA?)

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
you can find books in delta force mag that wiil tell you how to make or do just about anything to almost anything. i never made my own but they can be bought almost anywhere. i have one on my mac-11...

[edit on 15amu12007 by DaleGribble]

by the way the flash isnt all you need to worry about, sound and heat is also a worry. your best bet would be to stay out of site if you are that greatly out numbered. cover and consealment is your best friend in any combat situation..

[edit on 15amu12007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   
what cal is your hunting rifle and what is your ammo f.i. grain load etc... ?
other important factor is the type of barrel (for the can mount) it being a hunting rifle will prove a bit more tricky but not impossible (you might loose the useage of your iron sights)
keep in mind that using hypersonic ammo will greatly decrease your can's lifespan if not just blow it after a few shots (i've seen one look more like a cucumber than a suppressor a few weeks ago after half a dozen shots)
you will loose a bit of precision and range aswell (that would impact higher ranges only though)
check legislation about suppressors , you might end up in huge trouble if caught with one (even homemade) but as i said , if caught.
Don't forget that homemade cans are ok (for the best ones) for maybe a few (like in very few) dozen shots , after that you're good for a new one

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   
On a budget? A potato will do quite fine.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sad Lil Alex
Anybody got any ideas about DIY Flash Supressors?

I have a Hunting Rifle... Ghillie suits that resemble the environment (used for paintballing) and a shelter/property that is fully functional w/o outside help... (stream for food many deer HUGE garden.... etc...if u got fire... ur fine XD)

and.. during Situation X i am NOT going to rambo it... because that is how you die... i dont have an aresenal.. but i have a sidearm... and a hunting rifle... with alot of ammunition... i am accurate and have proper training... so thats not an issue...

my issue is... how could i make a DIY Flash Supressor...

if my group of survivors.. (murdered the spelling..) is invaded... and i am ''sniping'' (dont knwo what else to call it) ... i dont want my enemy to kill me because they outnumber me and saw the flash of my rifle :|

(is this in anyway a bad ideA?)

Enjoy coke?

Think Coke can!

P.S.

They're gonna see the flash anyway. Flash surpressors protect YOUR night vision... supposedly.

[edit on 8-10-2007 by JimmyBlonde]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   

by the way the flash isnt all you need to worry about, sound and heat is also a worry. your best bet would be to stay out of site if you are that greatly out numbered. cover and consealment is your best friend in any combat situation..

Fire and roll if you can. When they react, don't be exactly where the shot came from. Don't be predictable in the direction you roll either. If you develop a pattern, you die.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
A Flash Suppressor hides/masks flash for the shooter, not the Shottee. Carry a bag of 'tater's and soda cans with you?? LMAO...Some caliber's/powder types are almost flash-less with a longer barrel, 6.5mm , .243's with long barrels and some types of powder... Use con and cover, move after the shot... I for one always look foward to the 2 foot flame from my 30-06 early the first day of deer season... Another Glorious Day to Excel

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
There are several loads on the market for most common calibres that include reduced flash powder. These are at least as good as most flash hiders.

The trick is not to hide the flash, it is to control your fire. Keep your barrel clean and free from oil (cuts out smoke). Pour water on the ground in front of your muzzle (reduces dusk kicked up on firing). Relocate after each shot. Move slowly and deliberately. Remember the principles of cam and con. Think twice, act once. These and many more like them are the principles that will keep you alive when you are outgunned.

A flash hider is a tool. Take a look at many of the sniper rifles on the market. Most don't have flash hiders because the shooter does his part.

7 Ps will keep yo alive without a flash hider.

[edit on 9-10-2007 by PaddyInf]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Its not a Flash Suppressor, its a Compensator!, Which compensates for the rise of the muzzle. Its side effect, depending on the type, will spread out the hot gases, and any flash you might get. A flash suppressor is a Hollywood term that caught on where it shouldnt have. Sure, they are advertised as a "Flash suppressor". But the only real way to suppress your flash, is to not pull the trigger.

The longer the Barrel, the less you will flash blind yourself. Also, powder type has a lot to do with this. Snipers dont really worry about hiding thier flash, for its not an issue. If your close enough to be seen by the flash, you shouldnt be using your sniper rifle in the first place, but a combat rifle or a pistol.

You need to be more worried about dust kick up and movement than you do flash. Its a non issue unless your sniping with a Howitzer.

[edit on 10-10-2007 by arcnaver]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The whole purpose of a flash suppressor isn't to hide flash, its to redirect it out of your line of sight, if you look at any of them you'll notice all of them direct the flash away from center point and off to the sides, they also don't generally have a slot for gas to exit the bottom side of the device, this is to assist in reducing muzzle rise, it also reduces the chances of kicking up dust or leaves.

[edit on 10-10-2007 by C0le]

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Compensators are an improved version of the original flash suppressor. The suppressor on my Army issue M-16 was vented 360 degrees, no compensation for muzzle rise.

I defer to PaddyInf's post, I think it is spot on!

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by arcnaver
Its not a Flash Suppressor, its a Compensator!, Which compensates for the rise of the muzzle. Its side effect, depending on the type, will spread out the hot gases, and any flash you might get.

Got to disagree with you on this one mate. A compensator is completely different from a flash hider (british term for flash suppressor). A compensator has a number of holes drilled in the top to direct spent gas upwards, reducing the effect of muzzle flip. These can be aftermarket attachments or an integral part of the weapons' barrel (e.g. the C models of Glock pistols). A compensator actually makes it harder for the shooter in terms of flash, as the burning gas is directed straight into the line of sight, partially blinding the firer in low light scenarios.

A flash hider dissipates the burning gas in many different directions, reducing the seen unidirectional flash.

new topics

top topics

join