It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy in court on terror charges - Anarchists Cookbook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   

A British teenager who is accused of possessing material for terrorist purposes has appeared in court.

The 17-year-old, who was arrested in the Dewsbury area of West Yorkshire on Monday, was given bail after a hearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

It is alleged he had a copy of the "Anarchists' Cookbook", containing instructions on how to make home-made explosives.

src news.bbc.co.uk...

src en.wikipedia.org...

The Anarchists Cookbook has been around since the 70's. Its full of what could arguably be considered common reference material these days given the Internet. Apparently, at least according to Wikipedia, the book is legal in the US but illegal in the UK. Do we start banning this and other questionable material now on the Net?

brill

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

The way I understand UK law (vaguely at best), is the freedom of speech (including literature) is one that is granted by the UK government... which appears to be more and more blatant each and every day.

The US law, the freedom of speech is of a nature that the government does not grant to it's citizens... therefore, making it above and beyond their control.

Its also the same issue with the right to keep and bear arms. So either way he goes about it... he's at the mercy of the courts.

By no means do I foresee those issues remaining as such... I foresee the laws in the US changing rapidly... especially due to the "terrorist" crap that's afloat these days.

I hope this kid doesn't have a rap sheet a mile long, otherwise, he's fixing to head up a poo creek without a paddle.

Don't blame me... blame the boogeyman.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I think I read somewhere that the original "Anarchists cookbook" actually has quite a bit of information in there that is incorrect. That said, I dont believe ANY book should be illegal ANYWHERE. The next thing you know the only book available to buy is "Idiots guide to mindless Patriotism".

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Takkybunny
The next thing you know the only book available to buy is "Idiots guide to mindless Patriotism".

It's already there.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
i have been watching this closely is 17 the age your a adult in the UK? or did they hit him with the UK equivelant of a youthful offender? charging a minor as a adult. also may i point out that most of the anarchists cookbook is wrong. it wont be long before we start seeing this in the US. how far will this go sending minors to gitmo? putting people only guilty of reading in 23 hour lockdown facilities we will have to see how this turns out i feel sorry for this kid.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The only way to teach him a lesson is to electrocute his testicles in some secret prison. That or ground him for a week, no television.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
im not a great believer in censorship, an adult should have the choice to decide what is right and wrong for themselves, but in this case i dont want kids who could possibly have psychotic problems to be able to have access to a book that could teach them how to blow up half their classroom, the kid should not be getting prosecuted for having the book it should be taken of him and he should be warned im glad this book is banned even if it is just to stop these kids blowing their own hands off

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I own the book and believe it or not I purchased it at Walden's book store in mall years ago. They sell it in book stores so who's fault is it really?

new topics

top topics

join