It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

big scare with my dog last night. really realized how attached i am

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
i was bugging out.
about 1pm he started what looked to me like a hiccup or a dry heave. it didn't seem to be a dry heave cause his belly was not wretching..he was eating a # load of grass. this dude usually eats grass anyway, no big deal but he was going crazy.
he was hiccuping or whatever constantly just about...i really did not know what to do.
i know a dogs stomach can 'flip' and it will obstruct and they need surgery.
so finally about 1am he was not stopping so i had to take him in.
it ends up being $96 with the medicine they gave us which i really didn't think was bad.
dog checked him out and said it appears to be a esophogial/gi irritation.
she put him on sucalfate and pepcid ac..
we started racking out brain thinking about what could have irritated him....
my best guess is this blanket we always play with. it's a fleece and we play pretty hard and it drys him out and i got to thinking he was probably swallowing human hair sized fibers off this thing and it was irritating his throat.
so, we ditched the blanket.

it is now 9pm the next night and he went from doing it for hours and hours straight to maybe once every couple hours.
i am gonna wake him up at midnight and dose him again.

anyway, i tell you, this really slapped me in the face about how attached i am to him. i felt so bad and i was so friccing scared that it was going to be something serious that i couldn't afford.

there was a couple in who's cat was brought in yesterday and is on O2. $12 an hour for the O2 but the vet said if they pull it odd it would die, so they put it down.
cat was healthy and in a snap, it got 'toxic' and they don't know what happened.

it was a big scare for me.
i am very anal about him. he gets fed precisely the same food at the same time and the same amount. same kind of treats. NO people food. walks and runs every day. water all the time.
i am just super vigilant about it so this really bothered me.

i was having nightmares and stuff about having to put him down.....

really messed me up.

for what it's worth, i really feel the attachment now.
more than before

i tell you, if something ever were to happen to him i don't think i'd b doing do well. sounds stupid huh..i mean, it's 'only a dog'...

let me tell you this.....my dog is my best friend....i was scared last night...
i kept jumping up in the middle of the night to make sure he was still breathing...
------------

any similar situations

new topics

join