It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Personality Reading

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
As soon as i saw the U2U i knew what this was, and personally was not offended in the least about it. To me for the most part it is so general it pretty much could be anyone, just the way the astrology section in your local newspaper does things. I didn't expect it to be some deep mystical revelation in to my personality because of your reputation on here MM, but rest assured the fair rating I gave it is a pretty much an accurate reflection of how i feel myself at this point in time. Fourteen years ago i would have had to say it would have been very accurate, seven years ago not accurate at all. Who knows how i would measure up to it next year. Nonetheless good work.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Sorry to spoil it for anyone but I believe this was just a personal attack at people who believe they are Indigo.

Like I've said, I'm another person who considers themselves to be an indigo, and I didn't take this as a personal attack, at all. Actually, I found it quite interesting, and I will not deny that there are people out there who are really good at this sort of thing - at coming up with statements which describe just about everyone, and making it feel as though it's just describing that individual.

I've always known this to be the case. I believe in the paranormal, the psychic, but I also believe there are a lot of frauds out there, and that the people who are out there gathering money to do psychic readings for you... well... I don't really trust them.

BTW... I participated in it.
I never once felt attacked. It was just to show that some people are really good with words.
Or something of that nature.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Thank you, jovi and MinHawk, for your participation in the experiment.

Believe me, if I could figure out a way to do a cold reading experiment and have it be convincing, I'd do it.

It's unfortunate TheOmen feels persecuted by this thread. I hope nobody else feels that way. If I were out to say something about someone, I'd say it to their face. So to speak. I would hope that everyone who's been on the board for any amount of time would know that about me. Straight-shooter, whether one agrees with me or not.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
You're welcome.

That's one thing I've noticed about you. You're blunt, and you're not going to go tripping around behind someone's back dropping hints at them. If this were anything intended to prove anyone here wrong about something, you'd let us know.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
that was a fun experiment, im glad i praticipated

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I too believe I can figure out anyones personality with limited information about them, which I would gather by how they speak, and how they act.

I need to see them in real life though. I'm really clairvoyant...

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
found the experiment excellant twas well done and fun. We do of course try to fit things into a pattern, that includes information given regarding ourselves.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
yeah, this was great man. you got me right on. how did you do it? Wish I still had the u2u but I had too many and had to delete some.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I didn't participate in the experiement as I kinda figured what was going on but, in following the thread, I was surprised that none of the participants U2u'd each other to compare readings. You're an honorable bunch. Good work MM.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

The results are posted here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Explains the whole thing.

Thank you, WW for your comments. I was gratified that everyone acted so honorably as well. We may fight like cats n dogs sometimes, but at least people respect the integrity of an experiment!

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Ouch. Yet another comment to this long thread....

The Forer effect doesn't prove the non-existence of any form of divination and other meta-physical phenomenon.

#1 How do you know that the identical reading didn't somehow attract ONLY those people to whom the reading applied? Specifically, Forer gave the identical reading to everyone in the same class -- they had been attracted to that class -- to that time and space -- for some reason. They all shared the same destiny at that particular moment. So the fact that they all felt a general reading to be accurate is not necessarily surprising. In this case, the experiment attracted those people from ATS that shared a specific destiny (to participate in the experiment.)

#2. Each person's interpretation might be distinctly different, and be more specific to that person than other people realize. For example, meditate on the question "Does your life has a purpose?" Just because everyone receives the same question does not mean that everyone had the exact same response, even if they answer "yes" to the question. In other words: The reading was highly (perhaps uncannily) accurate for each individual.

The words you hear are never the words that are actually spoken. In this particular case, although everyone receives the same reading, you personally hear something that is unique to you -- that defines you with startling accuracy.

Abstract but true!

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It only defines one with startling accuracy because it is so general. Just like the horoscopes in the newspaper.

All the logical contortions in the preceding post notwithstanding.

But thanks for your input.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Okay -- I get it. I don't want to appear argumentative.

But you have to admit that the Forer experiment proves you can define someone, by their own standards, WITH STARTLING ACCURACY, based upon something that is very ambiguous and generic. Since we all strive for accuracy of understanding, especially when understanding ourselves, that is a significant result.

Consider one more thing please: Your experiment is based on a type of stichomancy, of sorts.

I promise I won't tack anything else on to this thread.

Please keep up the good work!

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If it's not too late I'd love to participate.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Me too,
as long as you're still taking volunteers

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I believe the experiment has been closed.

[edit on 18-5-2008 by blue dome]

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
sighn me up im curious

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join