It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motherboard Faceplate not match Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Hi,

Last time I built, actually rebuilt, my computer The motherboard wouldnt fit the case because it had an extra port, onboard video. So i had to punch out the little metal cover on the back.

I want to get a new case off the internet. how do I avoid this problem in the future?

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Well when you upgraded your new mobo should have come with a new faceplate to replace the old one. Most MB's these days come with their own faceplate.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Nah, it was a cheap one... I'm always tryin to get away cheap.

next one though, I plan on buying a more expensive one.

So you are saying that i should be able to pop the one thats on the back of the case off and use the one thats on the motherboard?

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thatoneguy
Hi,

Last time I built, actually rebuilt, my computer The motherboard wouldnt fit the case because it had an extra port, onboard video. So i had to punch out the little metal cover on the back.

I want to get a new case off the internet. how do I avoid this problem in the future?

When buying a new motherboard you will need to always get all the details regarding the case it will be going into to avoid this problem. This also may include power supply types as well. (Most stuff has all gone to ATX now so Power supply is not always a problem anymore.)

Of course the easiest is to simply by a new case and Motherboard at the same time that are compatible. But if you need to fit the new board in your old case you need to make sure your case will take it.

Older boards that use AT power supplies are the ones that have a Hard Power Switch. The kind you physically have to shut off in other words. The also will have a keyboard plug that is the Old Big Plug, not the small ps/2 plug. Now some cases will take either AT or ATX boards and just change the power supply type, others may not, and of course everything recently is all ATX.

Now, boards also come in sizes too. Full size boards are too big to fit in a case that only accepts small boards, aka Baby-AT/ATX. You also have Mid sized boards as well. Most larger sized cases will accept the full range of boards, as you've probably noticed the various extra holes not being used where you board screws into to back of the case.

As far as the "plug-ins" are concerned you will just have to make sure you check first. Some cases do come with alternate plate faces that you can change out to allow for boards with more or less plugs. Some do not however and like you said if you don't get the right one you have to make the holes yourself. Not easy concidering it's metal, and could bend, or cut the hell out of ya or just be a real pain in the A$$.

Now, I do not recommend this, especially for many of the New Superfast and Hot Running Chips out today, but it is possible to just ditch the case entirely if you have no choice. Personally I have Two such machines running in my house right now, in fact the one I'm on now is a 1400mhz AMD CPU and it's built without a case. Or as I like to call it, Guerilla Style. Basically I have the Motherboard resting on a static mat(you can use the backplane of a case as well if it comes out). The drives are all stacked on each other. The powersupply is next to the board and everything is plugged in normally. Fans and everything of course. The cards are the only real scary thing since they basically just clip in and aren't screwed in for support. Then I rigged up a power button and leds and stuff just to make it easier. But it runs fine, never one problem, as long as I don't move it around or whatever. But again, I do not recommend or take any responsability for anyone else doing this. Try at your own risk. I've been working and playing with these for a while so I'm comfortable with what I'm doing an I take precausions to reduce any problems that may happen. So you've been warned...Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask.

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Now, I do not recommend this, especially for many of the New Superfast and Hot Running Chips out today, but it is possible to just ditch the case entirely if you have no choice. Personally I have Two such machines running in my house right now, in fact the one I'm on now is a 1400mhz AMD CPU and it's built without a case. Or as I like to call it, Guerilla Style. Basically I have the Motherboard resting on a static mat(you can use the backplane of a case as well if it comes out). The drives are all stacked on each other. The powersupply is next to the board and everything is plugged in normally. Fans and everything of course. The cards are the only real scary thing since they basically just clip in and aren't screwed in for support. Then I rigged up a power button and leds and stuff just to make it easier. But it runs fine, never one problem, as long as I don't move it around or whatever. But again, I do not recommend or take any responsability for anyone else doing this. Try at your own risk. I've been working and playing with these for a while so I'm comfortable with what I'm doing an I take precausions to reduce any problems that may happen. So you've been warned...Hope this helps. Any other questions just ask.

Been there, done that

The motherboard fits the case fine, its just the I/O faceplate doesnt match the board so I had to punch the metal thing out and its just a big empty square.

top topics

join