It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: (BBC) New Mars rock hints at past water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Scientists have discovered that a rock found in Morocco in 2001 came from Mars. This Rock provides evidence tha water once flowed there since it's a magmatic rock, formed when water moved from the core of the planet to the surface.

"The meteorite's chemical signature was checked out by researchers at the UK's Southampton Oceanography Centre."

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Cool! Even though they lost the Beagle, the UK seems to be on top of the mars life search!

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Just ran across this article:
"Ice on Mars: Americans Pour Cold Water on 'Eureka Moment'"
Link:
news.scotsman.com...

Excerpt:

"But there was a cool reception among experts at the American space agency, Nasa, to the claim.

They pointed out that in the last two years the Nasa spacecraft Mars Odyssey had already detected large amounts of ice mixed with Martian soil as little as 18 inches from the surface.

Orlando Figueroa, Nasa's Mars exploration director, said: "Our Odyssey spacecraft that has been orbiting Mars since 2001 did discover vast amounts of frozen water in the northern and southern latitudes. And we were surprised by the fact that there was so much, and so close to the surface.

"So it's not new news, but we are happy to see that their (ESA's) satellite is also able to pick up where it exists."

Here's a Viking photo showing 'snow' on Mars:

Is the ESA just confirming what was pretty much already thought and perhaps already considered?
And is this definitely confirming that there was or is beneath the surface and beneath the surface in non-poar regions?

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Great picture. I don't care who claims they've detected ice on Mars, it's great news, but I am getting a little sick of the spin the media puts on these disputes. Ice on Mars: Americans Pour Cold Water on 'Eureka Moment'...What is up with other countries ripping into the US everytime they dispute something. Canada's media did the same thing when the US discovery of Mad Cow was traced back to Canada...but Canada's media acted like the US was just making it up.

I know Bush has bullied the allies and manipulated everyone to get Sadam out of Iran, but not all of us in the USA are self-centered cowboys looking to teach the world a lesson. I feel like the media and few special interest groups are tabloid-ing this into a bigger issue than it is. A little "friendly" rivalry between the ESA and NASA is good...we don't need to turn it into another example of American arrogance belittling the rest of the world when it really isn't what's going on.

NASA should of said (like I would have) "Congratulations ESA on an excellent find. We are quite excited with your discovery and how well your spacecraft is doing...this is a great step forward for Europe and the European Space Exploration. Your discovery with what our Odyssey probe has seen motivates all of us to pursue our goal of mankind's exploration and eventual habitation on other planets."

Oh but I work with similar scientific egg-heads and some of their egos, no matter what country they're from, makes you wonder if they haven't left the planet already!

[Edited on 23-1-2004 by Boogie]

top topics

join