It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expanding Police state:Fla. Student's Allergy Leads To Peanut Butter Ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Well once again, school has started and we get yet another mother who thinks her kid is so special that no one should eat peanut butter in her son's school only unlike other schools this mother won and I would like to know what makes her son so special?

Some young St. Johns County students are no longer allowed to bring a popular lunchtime food to school. Peanut butter has been banned.

A kindergarten student at Ocean Palms Elementary in Ponte Vedra has a peanut allergy that has forced the student's classroom to become a peanut-free zone, WJXT-TV reported.
www.local6.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I understand she has a problem but why on earth should all students have to change their diet because he is allergic?

What happens if some other child has a candy bar made with peanuts in it do we then ban those too? Or how about peanut Butter cookies are they also banned. This lady and school officials are out of their mind.

Coming soon to a school near you the school food police who dictate what you can and or can not eat

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by shots

What makes him special?
My nephew is severly allergic and has been in anaphalatic shock before. Sorry but I think kids not risking death trumps kids wanting to eat chocolate bars with nut traces.. and you can buy 'safe' ones. For some reason nut allergies have gone through the roof these days and recently a child died in my city [in the classroom] because he ended up with another kids lunch. It's not as though it's a nessesary part of the diet.. and I think kids forgoeing the luxury of eating it might be alot better than having to watch their friends die in front of them. It's about protecting lives.. not policing them. Some rules and laws are unreasonable and there to bully/oppress but this has some actual rationale behind it.

Regardless I think banning candy bars in schools is a great idea.. obesity kills as well.

[edit on 25-9-2007 by riley]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
My nephew is severly allergic and has been in anaphalatic shock before. Sorry but I think kids not risking death trumps kids wanting to eat chocolate bars with nut traces.. and you can buy 'safe' ones.

Well if that is the case did his parents insist that the schools he attend change their eating habits? My guess is not, more then likely they adopted his life style rather then demand others change theirs.

If they continue to let a few to get away with stuff like this our country is going down the tubes big time we already have enough government involved in our life let alone letting them tell us what our kids can eat. You do not change the majorities way of life to fit the minority it is just wrong.

[edit on 9/25/2007 by shots]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

My nephew is severly allergic and has been in anaphalatic shock before. Sorry but I think kids not risking death trumps kids wanting to eat chocolate bars with nut traces.. and you can buy 'safe' ones.

Well if that is the case did his parents insist that the schools he attend change their eating habits?

They had a no-nut policy anyway [as far as I remember] and they took them to court for the death as the teacher stuffed up.

My guess is not, more then likely they adopted his life style rather then demand others change theirs.

Lots of parents ask this of schools. Most other parents would be fine with it.

If they continue to let a few to get away with stuff like this

'Getting away' with what? Protecting their own kids from dieing? Yes.. how sneaky of them.

our country is going down the tubes big time

great. another person who assumes that america is the default country on the WWW. :shk:

we already have enough government involved in our life let alone letting them tell us what our kids can eat. You do not change the majorities way of life to fit the minority it is just wrong.

So is sacrificing the lives of other parents children for a sandwich spread.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Well if that is the case did his parents insist that the schools he attend change their eating habits?

They had a no-nut policy anyway [as far as I remember] and they took them to court for the death as the teacher stuffed up.

You will have to excuse me here but whose death are you talking about? you never stated anyone died all you stated was he had been in Anaphylactic shock, your choice of words not mine, (kindly note you used the present tense IS indicating he is alive) which could have been caused by more then just peanuts any number of things food, latex, rubber, fish the list goes on and on could result in Anaphylaxis. So it is your suggestion we ban all those items from schools also which is letting the government run even more of our lives?

What I see here is a very similar case to you like this mother are not willing to compromise, which is wrong. Why not just ask for a separate table when it comes to eating?

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Why not just ask for a separate table when it comes to eating?

Well the article did say...

The principal said the school is working on a more permanent solution. He said they would probably end up with a peanut-free table in the cafeteria and another table that allows peanuts.

And that would be a more fair approach so the other children can eat what they want. I agree that banning it from the school is a little overkill. But what I don't understand is how this is expanding a police state, and this is the work of the Government? The mother complained...the school acted...I don't see how the secret government peanut-banning agency fits into that.

[edit on 25/9/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
But what I don't understand is how this is expanding a police state, and this is the work of the Government?

You have to connect the dots to see it. NY city council banned Tran's fats from restaurants now Chicago and another city in CA are planning the same kind of ban. Trans fats are only bad if you do not use them in moderation but the facist govnments city govnerments specifically have now taken it upon them selves to prevent you from eating a legal product.

In CA, many schools have banned Soda and even alleged health drinks that have far less calories then soft drinks and juice. In addition, they have banned things like tag, which is actually good for children because it is exercise, which reduces obesity.

The mother complained...the school acted...I don't see how the secret government peanut-banning agency fits into that.

Don't you mean the school over reacted? Remember the simple solution is a Table but no now those attending that school can not eat peanut butter because some old biddy is afraid her kid might and I emphasis might come in contact with it. What does the mother do when the kid goes to a park; or better yet a Ball Park; demand they hide all peanut products?

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   

You will have to excuse me here but whose death are you talking about? you never stated anyone died all you stated was he had been in Anaphylactic shock, your choice of words not mine, (kindly note you used the present tense IS indicating he is alive)

My nephew almost died.. are you fine with that? Anaphalatic shock can cause death.. and I DID say someone died. Try reading it again:

My nephew is severly allergic and has been in anaphalatic shock before. Sorry but I think kids not risking death trumps kids wanting to eat chocolate bars with nut traces.. and you can buy 'safe' ones. For some reason nut allergies have gone through the roof these days and recently a child died in my city [in the classroom] because he ended up with another kids lunch.

Think not may have been at recess though [morning tea] I'd put a link up but it would seem fairly futile doing so as you chose to ignore it the first time I wrote it. In any case I'm going to make this my last reply to you as you don't even seem to understand the seriousness of peanut allergies. You've judged the kid you mentioned as getting special treatment. Are you going to bitch about kids missing out on walking up stairs because they've been replaced with stairs for wheelchair access next? It's not special treatment. It's ensuring a safe enviroment.

which could have been caused by more then just peanuts any number of things food, latex, rubber, fish the list goes on and on could result in Anaphylaxis. So it is your suggestion we ban all those items from schools also which is letting the government run even more of our lives?

We aren't talking about those other alergies though.. we are talking about nut allergies. They are now fairly common compared to the things you have listed.. and a sea food lunch is less likely to be shared than a peanut butter one so thats a silly argument. Having no peanut policy lets parents take preventative measures. Your suggestion not only risks killing kids.. but leaves other kids at risk of having their sandwich/candy bar kill one of their friends in the event they swap it for a bag of chips of something. If one of your kids ends up in this situation.. what are you going to tell them? "Be proud son.. that childs death is just the sacrifice society has to make so we can enjoy the freedom of eating out favourite spread whenever we want."

..and since when do parents out latex in their lunch boxes? avoiding latex is alot simpler to do. Sharing/trading lunches however is a social thing. You want these kids segregated at lunch time then? Nope.. THAT doesn't sound like facsism!
"Can't sit with your friends sorry.. they have different immune systems.."

What I see here is a very similar case to you like this mother are not willing to compromise, which is wrong.

Willing to compromise? Wow.. so sorry that wanting to prevent children from dieing is seen as being 'uncompromising'..

Why not just ask for a separate table when it comes to eating?

Oh so you do want segregation.

Aside from the fact that kids are going to sit with their friends and not where biggots decide.. at many schools [especially here] kids eat their lunch outside and eat it where and with whome they please. We even have picnic tables in the school yards! We are just very liberal minded that way..

[edit on 26-9-2007 by riley]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Sharing/trading lunches however is a social thing.

Ah the real reason you are against compromise you are a moocher, no doubt like many who do not like what their mother packs for them :shk: Shame on you that could be very dangerous since what you give others to eat might be deadly to them such as meat products fish etc.

Oh so you do want segregation.

No I never said I wanted segreation that was your choice of words not mine. It is called compromise. Why should the majority have to change their diets while at school because of a few. It makes no sense there are alternatives but from what I read you do not like alternatives thefore appear to have a closed mind which indicates your government has already turned you into one of their sheeple. Just a suggestion but you better stand up for your rights while you still have time.

[edit on 9/26/2007 by shots]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This is absolutely ridiculous!

There is no reason for all students to be punished because of the one childs allergy.

I cant believe that people are so freakin ignorant when it comes to these issues. if the kid is allergic to peanuts, then simple solution...Dont let him eat them. It shoudl be the responsibility of the parents to inform the child of his allergy and then reinforce that with his teacher.

Banning all peanuts in the classroom is silly, and the person that made this recommendation obviously had their sanity and common sense banned.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Don Wahn

some people are severely allergic to the point that even residue or a faint whiff can cause a serious reaction

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I stand corrected madness.

I still think it is crazy that they banned peanuts in the whole school.

What is I was allergic to water (yes I know its a long shot)? Would they ban water from everyone else?

Just being a Devils advocate.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

The only sensible response on this thread. My compliments. This shows how messy it can become when people don't read the WHOLE STORY before commenting.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Source for list of most common food alergies below -

The food allergens
While food labels don't include every possible allergen, they do list the top eight, which account for 90 percent of all documented food allergies:

Milk
Eggs
Peanuts
Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts)
Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder)
Shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp)
Soy
Wheat

Kind of brings this into perspective does it not?

[edit on 9/26/2007 by Blaine91555]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I would personally like to volunteer for a post on the Milk Police. I am Lactose Intolerant and Milk has got to go! Milk does this body NO GOOD! Perhaps UN Sanctions against the Dairy Industry would be in order?

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Well if Milk and eggs are the top two allergies that is all the more reason that this ban is uncalled for and ridiculous as I stated.

The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology estimates that confirmed food allergy affect between one and two percent of adults. It is further estimated that approximately six to eight percent of children have some type of food allergy. The most common food allergies among children are milk and egg. A smaller proportion of children suffer from peanut or nut allergies. The exact number of individuals with peanut allergy is not known www.peanutbutter.com...

Hell according to Skippy they do not even know how many children are affected by nut allergies :shk:

Banning number two and three and not number one proves how stupid the mother and school officials are.

Sure hope school officials and the government do not learn those facts if they do this world is in big trouble since it is almost impossible to cook/bake many dishes/breads/pastas the list is endless without milk or eggs.

[edit on 9/27/2007 by shots]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

I agree that banning it from the school is a little overkill. But what I don't understand is how this is expanding a police state, and this is the work of the Government? The mother complained...the school acted...I don't see how the secret government peanut-banning agency fits into that.

Simply put: By the individual citizens refusing personal responsibility, and thus forcing the state/gov't to take responsibility.

Some would argue that the mother took personal responsibility in pushing for the ban of peanut butter -- a proactive stance towards keeping her child safe.

I disagree. (And no, I'm not playing Devil's Advocate.) Personal responsibility would dictate that she make her child(ren) well aware of the problem, make sure that they know not to eat other from people's lunches (and know their own lunchbox so there's no confusion...), and then ask the teacher of that class to speak about the severity of peanut allergies.

Forcing the entire school to change because of 1 child in kindergarten is wrong.

A temporary ban in that particular classroom only -- followed by an immediate school-wide educational seminar explaining the allergy. Give the kids knowledge instead of more rules!! (it IS school afterall... kids will break rules, but a seed of knowledge might actually creep in!)

(Oh, and peanuts (as well as most peanut butters) are, by the way, a nutritional food -- a staple, in fact. So while peanuts/peanut butter may not be singularly mandatory for "good health", it certainly helps those with no allergies. So, one could easily argue that by banning peanut butter the school is ensuring the health of a few over the health of the many. Just sayin'.)

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Ironic that while we are disgussing this as it pertains to the US then I find an article on how the UK handled a situation

Boy with nut allergy banned from school because he is a 'health and safety risk'

See very simple solution; keep the kid home until they can find a solutin that works like it shoud be done.

[edit on 9/27/2007 by shots]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Because one of my three sons was highly allergic when younger, I had to watch everything he ate. Those parents of kids with allergies, especially those with possible fatal reactions, need need need to educate themselves and the child with allergies about what can happen. Anything the child is going to eat away from home needs to be brought from home, and the child needs needs needs to understand the importance of eating only the food prepared at home and brought with him/her.

Speaking from experience, I do not believe it's fair to expect others outside the home to make changes to their own diet/s for the sake of one child with allergies. Of course the parent needs to let others know of their child's allergy, but it's up to the parent to provide their child's food to be eaten only by their child, and to make sure their child eats just their own food. The parent will have to think ahead of their child's schedule and be prepared beforehand for anything that might come up. Sure, it felt to me like I was chasing my son around and watching every morsel that went in his mouth. But for pete's sake, that was my job as a mom of a child with an allergy! I didn't put the responsibility onto the teachers, the school staff, the parents of my son's friends, or anyone else. I made sure my son understood what might happen to him if he so much as got a teensy taste of milk, eggs, corn, wheat and soy. sigh. Yep he cried once because he hated the elimination diets, etc. But a parent needs to accept the responsibility and teach that to their allergic child as well as shifting that to the child as much as possible.

Another of my sons has a fatal reaction to bee-stings. He remembers well the rush to the hospital one day when he was first stung and nearly died. That helped him to remember *to avoid* bees as much as possible in the future! Would it have been fair of me to tell his school not to allow bees anywhere near my child? Or that they should only have an enclosed area to play at recess? That's utter nonsense! And so is a school ban on peanut butter for the sake of a child with allergies. Sheeeeeeeeeeesh! Those parents could have done what I did, provide the school with the shot kit. And everywhere else my son went, including while running cross-country, he carried a shot kit with him, just in case... I didn't make the coach run ahead of him with a bee zapper.

A parent's choice is to put the allergic child in a bubble for the rest of his/her life, or take the responsibility as the parent (don't put it off onto others), provide for the child, educate the child and others best as possible about the allergy and its reactions, be prepared ahead of time for any plans the child has, and then eagle-eye watch the child. No it's not easy. Being a parent isn't easy either, but we do whatever it takes cuz it's the right thing to do.

NOMW

[edit on 10/4/2007 by NotOnMyWatch]

top topics

join