It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horror at Airshow - Mid-Air Collision

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
In Zelazny,near Warsaw, Poland during a recent airshow, a Polish display team collided killing both pilots, a tragedy captured by photographer Kacper Pempel who managed to capture the terrible events as they unfolded.
(see link for pics below -warning: some may find the footage disturbing.
The crash was also caught on video here :
iscatterlings.com...

Personally I think these type of shows should not be held, there have been
so many terrible tragedies over the years. I have seen an horrific video
on youtube of an airshow from I think it was the Ukraine (correct me if I'm wrong) where a jet fighter crashes into the large crowd which killed dozens, something that was truly horrifying.
This follows on from a similiar tragedy in Sussex, Britain when the pilot of a WWII Hurricane went down in the countryside on Saturday afternoon last

news.bbc.co.uk...

And on a truly unforgettable weekend, for all the wrong reasons, the world lost one of the most talented rally drivers in recent times when the former World Rally Championship winner Colin McRae, his son Johnny, who was just six years old and his friend's son and a family friend were killed when Colin's helicopter crashed at Lanark Scotland, just under a mile from his family home.
news.bbc.co.uk...

May they all rest in peace.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I think it's a bit to far to say these events should not take place, constant updating of safety procedures sure, some countries will be much safer than others.

But people die at large events for all sorts of reasons, crush victims at concerts / football games, acts of violence, fires and all sorts of other reasons - most of them avoidable. But if you weigh all things up you can't wrap everyone up in cotton wool. Accidents can be terrible for sure but I would hate to die of boredom!

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Theres an airshow practically every day in the UK during summer, and yet theres very very few deaths - less than one a year on average.

There are thousands of airshows all of the world each year, and yet again theres very few deaths.

Leave one of the most entertaining (and my favourite) public gatherings alone please.

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
Theres an airshow practically every day in the UK during summer, and yet theres very very few deaths - less than one a year on average.

There are thousands of airshows all of the world each year, and yet again theres very few deaths.

Leave one of the most entertaining (and my favourite) public gatherings alone please.

I was only expressing my own opinion, having seen accounts of such tragedies as I mentioned above.
The risk of such an accident has got to be high considering usually you see
the display teams try their most outrageous stunts whilst flying
at incredible speeds in close proximity to each other and often over or near large crowds of spectators. I have the utmost respect for these pilots as it obviously takes incredible talent to perform such feats, and you know what I have only ever been to one airshow and I enjoyed it immensely also but everytime I see such a show I am reminded that it only takes one tiny little bit of bad luck or error of judgement to put peoples lives at risk.

top topics

join