It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Necklace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This has been out for sometime, but I reccomend everyone have AT LEAST this necklace for your survival gear, as a bare minimum.

I have 2, and I have to say, the knife should be replaced, but the rest is great stuff.

www.therangerdigest.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Hmmm. very neat idea. Definitely not fashionable...perhaps a bit uncomfortable.. but absolutely useful. Aces in my book. Good post idea.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I have tried to use wire saws in the past. The first one broke within seconds of sawing a small branch. The ends were crimped electrical wire terminals. One of those connecters pulled out. The second one had loops at the ends. It worked well for about ten minutes before coming apart. The rest of those items would be very handy though.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I've tried a few wire saws as well, most w/o teeth, and only had notches in the wire, which cut like crap.
This saw however, I can attest to.
I've used it so far, all summer long, on every camping trip w/o problem.
This saw has teeth, and it cuts pretty easily through most branches upwards of 3", over that and your gonna have a rough time.
As far as the connectors, you can simply pinch it down with pliers more, or, use a soldering gun, and add a little for an instant fix, but I've never had that problem.

For $24 including shipping, it's a good deal.
I tried to make my own necklace, and it ended up being $61 w/o shipping... lol guess that's why Im no Ranger Rick

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I'm gonna have to throw my 2 cents in for what it's worth. I wouldn't put my trust in a product that is specifically targeted to (for lack of a better term) greenhorns. Ranger Rick may have some good products but it has been my experience that most of their things like this are geared towards the lower enlisted men that have very little experience in matters of survival. They buy it because it is "cool"

MikeMeyers is stating that the knife should be replaced and I wouldn't trust the compass to find my way out of Wal-mart.

quality
quality
quality

If you ever need such items (which I hope you never do) are you gonna stake the well-being of you and your family on equipment that may be of questionable quality?

"For $24 including shipping, it's a good deal."

Spend the money on quality items...an item that can be used over and over and you can depend on it to work when you need it. It is no different than buying tools...take the mechanics approach...buy the best you can and when you need it...it will be there.

A lot of these things are great ideas but poorly executed due to the cost as you saw by putting together your own necklace....I'll say it again....Quality not quantity.

Ask any soldier that has bought some of these things and they will tell you that most aren't much better than novelty toys.

Take the idea and make your own...the old saying is true. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

just my 2 cents

Kafer

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Its just a variation of those survival tins. I think you may just get more in alot of those tins aswell.

I would be very wary of having one of those around my neck, it looks like it would get in the way and catch on every damn branch you walked past.

I say make your own tin or necklace up with half decent stuff, last thing you want is to find they aint as good as you expected them to be.

new topics

top topics

join