It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating A Habanero Pepper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I was discussing a few things with some people today, and the subject of Habanero peppers came up, and just how hot they might be. As President of my college, I'm responsible for running all of the frosh week events. I thought it would be a good idea to have some of the participants eat a Habanero pepper. My girlfriend didn't think it was that "hot" of an idea, but I had thought otherwise.

Being smart as usual, my girlfriend comes up with the idea that I needed to eat one first, to see if it would be good to have everyone eat them tomorrow. So I bought one and intended to eat it this evening.

When we got in, I had to check out YouTube and see what it turned up. What it showed me wasn't anything I needed to see.

Why You Should Never Eat A Habanero Pepper

Well, after watching a few of these, I was put on the spot and was forced to eat it. For about forty minutes, I was in some serious pain.

I don't think I'm going to run with this idea as an event, but I might keep some handy in case there are a few brave ones willing to give it a shot.

Fists clenched..... ouch.

[edit on 10-9-2007 by chissler]

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Ohhhhhhhh myyyyyy flying frig!!!!

Unless I was tricked into eating one, you won't catch me putting those puppies on my tongue.

If you think 'those' peppers are hot, try Naga Jolokia - supposedly the world's hottest

Chisler, you have got to be extremely brave or retarded to eat that stuff. lolololol

I feel for you though, I tried one on a dare and that, my friend, was the last time I'd do that!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Yeah Habanero peppers are no joke. I've eaten a small bite of one and it was none too fun.
I had shoved one in the face of my friend to make him eat it but accidentally got him in the eye. He was unable to see out of the eye for about a half hour, not a fun feeling either. These things are no joking matter they will make you spit fire!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It is the truth, these are no joke. I initially laughed and thought it would be a good idea to make people squirm. But one of these given to the wrong person, it could really hurt someone. I'm definitely not going to use these for the event, but I may take a few jalapeño peppers and stick some cayenne pepper in there.

That should have some kick.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Hee hee, you might want to put a roll of toilet paper (over night) in the freezer. Combat mode for your morning bathroom trip!!

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
lol they should use habanero's in zombie movies.. just give them to all the actors that are playing the zombies, judging by the youtube video it might work out rather nicely

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 12:30 AM
link   
That video was priceless. It reminded me of the time when my brother "tricked" me into eating a habanero.

It seems that part of what makes the habanero pepper so incredibly "hot" are the seeds inside of the pepper. Years ago, my me and my brother were having a "day of dares". You know, a day that we just got on each others nerves and where we would goad each other into doing stupid stuff. Well, my brother had secretly cut open a habanero and had scraped out the seeds. He then proudly demonstrated how he could eat one of these peppers (naturally, he used the pepper he had scraped). He said it was a "bit warm" but nothing special.

He then dared me to eat one. Well, I thought, if my brother could eat one, then I surely could eat a few myself. Which, incidentally, is exactly what I did. In quick succession I tossed three of the peppers in my mouth and started to chew and swallow them down. I said "started". In a matter of seconds my mouth was on fire! Tears were flooding my eyes and my nose had become congested. My mouth and throat were actually constricting and I was "freaking". I was in serious pain for quite some time. Even my lips, where they had come into contact with the juice and the habanero seeds were burning! And nothing, not even water or ice seemed to help (I later discovered that milk, cream or butter can take the heat out of an habanero attack).

Naturally, my brother was practically beside himself with laughter. Oh, did I mention that my brother is an ... wait! I can't say that here. Well, lets' just say that my brother has a very twisted sense of humor. (incidentally, we still laugh about that incident years later).

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I say give 'em out anyway.

Nothin' like the smell of burning freshers in the morning.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
No denying habaneros are hot as hell, but what was that kid doing?
I think that was overly dramatic. He looked like that guy from Poltergeist who was peeling his face off.

I think I read that Naga Jolokia (had a story about it in the local rag) is 500,000 Scovile Heat Units, definitely the hottest in the world. There was a picture of some Indian guy just munching it down like it was nothing. CRAZY!!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
This Chili Cook-off Contest Joke says it all!!!

Scotch Bonnet Peppers are also notorious for hit n' run tongue spasms!

Scotch Bonnets look almost identical to a similar pepper called the "seasoning pepper", often eaten whole and raw, but this species has much less spice, and is used for its flavour, not heat. Eating whole, raw scotch bonnet peppers is not advised for those unaccustomed to eating very spicy food. As well as the symptoms mentioned above, diarrhea may result.

Forget all those Hollywood fad diets for internal cleansing.

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Here's a tip on how to eat hot food -- wash it down with milk or sugar-free tea.

I'd like to try this Habanero pepper. I'm addicted to hot food, the hotter the better. It's pure ecstasy when my lips get swollen to Angelina-like proportions due to hot food. My face will turn like this guy -->

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
From all the heavy reading ive been doing on this site this thread was a much welcomed break i laughd at every post and then had to youtube some more ......am i sadistic hell no but i know what makes me laugh and tht did

thank you

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I have been growing Habeneros in my herb garden for many years now. When I eat one that is exceptionally hot I remove the seeds and plant those the following year. My little unnatural selection process has resulted in some consitently hot peppers each year.

I like to use them in chilis and salsas, but only a little so I don't scorch everyone.

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 03:48 AM
link   
hehehehe

one has to be brave to dump a habanero into your mouth! I have done it but i am used to hot spicy food. But, ok i admit, i ate it in 3 bites.

I have a thread where i discussed different "heats" of peppers/chillies.

here

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Been a while since I played with any real peppers. I used to eat a jar of jalepenos as a snack while watching movies. Still practically drink hot sauce, even the habenero variety. I found it funny when I used to eat meat to get the hottest hot wings, eat them in front of people without problems, then offer them to try them. One friend bent over and was nearly crying it was so hot to her, and, she only dipped her finger in the sauce and touched her tongue.

There are some special restaurant made and home-made sauces around her that have quite a kick.

At times i go through one of the 64 oz bottles of louisiana hot sauce a week. I can't find the habenero versions any more. They seem to have came and went.

One sauce that can be found in the asian section that is pretty good, with a bit of sweetness to it is Sriracha sauce. It is bright red in a clear bottle. Has a rooster and one of the asian fonts on the front. Excellent for most asian dishes especially teriyaki, and adding to other things as well. A must try.

bring it on ... and I usually have no problems with it coming out the other end. if my stomach is bothered, I just add ginger to my diet it for a bit, and it takes care of any burning

[edit on 10/16/07 by FreeThinkerIdealist]

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Article on AOL about the worlds hottest pepper. Reportedly twice as hot as a Habanero. Like to get a few of these and see how hot they really are.

World's hottest pepper...

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
True story. At work we have a hot sauce called The Source. This stuff is no joke.

A friend of mine that visits from Ontario from time to time came in about 4-5 months ago, just after we got the stuff in. He's one of those heroes that says I can never make his food hot enough for him.

So this trip, the same old same old. I make his curry with this sauce and he gets through three quarters of the dish and can't eat any more. HA I think.

I only put a tip of a toothpick in the curry, I don't want him to die just hurt for a while.

Anyway, he comes back to the kitchen and asks what I used this time. I showed him the bottle with gloves on( I won't even touch the bottle without them). He wants to try the sauce.I tell him no not on it's own.

We did it when we got it in and it was the worst feeling I have had from food in a long time.

He insists so I give him the bottle to try. He dips in the toothpick to pull out a drop but coats about a quarter of the pick and shoves it straight into his mouth before I could stop him.

Ten minutes later, after a phone call to 911, he's on a stretcher on his way to the emergency room because his throat had constricted shut from the sauce.

Three days later they let him out, with permanent damage to his throat . Just makes his voice a little raspier.

I did try to warn him but some people just won't listen.:shk:

[edit on 4-11-2007 by GAOTU789]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This vid reminds me of Dumb and Dumber, when they eat the hot peppers in the resturaunt. Jim Carrey was just yellin and squirtin ketchup and mustard in his face, classic scene. I couldn't find that clip on youtube, but I'm sure most of you know what I'm talkin about.

[edit on 11/4/07 by AcesInTheHole]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I once ate a roasted one stuffed with cream cheese and it was the most painful eating experience of my life.

posted on Dec, 7 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I would never eat a raw habanero. I have a habanero hot sauce that I use very sparingly...any more than a little dab and your mouth is on fire.

new topics

top topics

join