It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police tear-gas farmers in clash over French GM crops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Police tear-gas farmers in clash over French GM crops

news.independent.co.uk

Growing tensions in France between opponents and supporters of genetically modified crops have led to violent confrontations.

Gendarmes used tear gas and batons to prevent pro-GM farmers from invading a picnic for militant opponents of genetically modified maize at the town of Verdun-sur-Garonne in south-west France over the weekend.

Hardly a day has gone by this summer without opponents of GM maize - both environmental campaigners and small farmers - invading fields and trampling or cut
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Is this similar to the animal lib nutters going around blowing up viv labs? (btw - I'm totally against viv)

do people have a right to destroy a farmers crops out of fear of GM genes 'infecting' their own non-GM fields?

Are eco-warriors also Terrorists? (hey why not, everyone else seems to be nowadays!)

news.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I think farmers of naturally grown non-GM crops have plenty to be worried about. There have already been cases where GM crops have "infected" other crops around them.
I just think tinkering with such basic food crops and being a slave to the corporate seed producers is a dangerous path to be taking.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Well done to the French Police in this case!!
Protecting the small farmer's rights against those seeking to dominate the market with GM-Well done indeed.

If that had happened in the UK it would have been the Anti GM protesters at the rough end of the police,because in the UK the police are now far more concerned with protecting big companies than the rights of the individual..

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

yeah, it's not often you get to cheer the police for using tear gas

Shame they can't tear gas Monsanto HQ boardroom too

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
because in the UK the police are now far more concerned with protecting big companies than the rights of the individual..

Do they?

I don't recall that.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Try doing a peaceful protest against an arms dealers conference and see how you get treated,Infinite.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Try doing a peaceful protest against an arms dealers conference and see how you get treated,Infinite.

maybe because it's an arms conference, sometimes weapons are there

So, you can't blame the police for wanting to move you.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Yeah,maybe thats it Infinite-either that or the fact the arms are one of our biggest exports and no form of protest by the "little people" can be allowed to interfere with the lucrative trade of death and maiming.
Backatcha.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Yeah,maybe thats it Infinite-either that or the fact the arms are one of our biggest exports and no form of protest by the "little people" can be allowed to interfere with the lucrative trade of death and maiming.
Backatcha.

"trade of death and maiming"?

well, they are arms. We do you expect them to do? tickle people

and as for the restriction of the "little people", I tend to forget that everything is a conspiracy

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Well,I did not mention the "C" word-
I was just illustrating the fact that big companies are massively protected by the state/police,to the extent that one of our traditional freedoms-the right to protest-is often no longer allowed.
I still maintain that if the same story happened here rather than France,the police would have carted off the Anti GM protesters and not the Pro GM crowd.
No conspiracy involved-honest.

Do you think we should have the right to protest peacefully against things we find wrong,or bad for our country?

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Well,I did not mention the "C" word-
I was just illustrating the fact that big companies are massively protected by the state/police,

Fact?!
Really? Can you prove it?

Do you think we should have the right to protest peacefully against things we find wrong,or bad for our country?

Yes, but protests are annoying to me. Fails to get the message across and you always get trouble makers.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   

"Fact?!
Really? Can you prove it? "

Well,considering the amount of police who turn up to get rid of protesters at such events as G8,climate camps,and what I've already spoken of concerning arms dealers,this leads me to believe it is fact.
Or try getting a copper to turn up at your house after a small incident and after 3 phone calls and 2 days the cops phone back to tell you theres nothing they can do to help..they won't even visit...This happened to my next door neighbour last month.
Or try phoning the cops when a house alarm is going off at 3 in the morning,knowing the occupants are away.
Hopefully you would have a better response than I had when I phoned...The cops actually asked me to get dressed,and go to investigate myself.Of course if I had done so and been involved in a scuffle with a burglar it would no doubt be me who was charged with assault.
I hope you,Infinite,are not treated in that manner if you ever have cause to phone the cops.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Well,considering the amount of police who turn up to get rid of protesters at such events as G8

Could it be the fact that world leaders were at the event? they have to be protected you know. It won't look good if one of them gets assassinated

Plus, you cannot justify the anarchists who smashed everything up in site.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
My Opinion

I do support GM crops because they are immune to diseases and have a longer

shelf life and the health concerns about fish DNA being spliced with plant DNA is

all bogus.

But I do see where the people who dislike GM are getting angry because it's

true the seeds from the GM crops to get into Non G.M fields.

I really see no solution for either side in the near future.

those are my opinions

top topics

join