It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Budget Gaming Pc - Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Putting together a "budget" gamer PC

Ok, my younger brother (19) want´s a gaming machine that won´t break the bank. He want´s to be able to play the "next gen" games out there, and those to come.

So I thought I should ask ya´ll for some ideas for what I should put in.

I´ve already decided on the graphics card, an Nvidia GeForce 8600GT

So if anyone here has a good recommendations for;

CPU (dual core)
Mobo
Ram (2gig min)
HD
Psu
Graphics card (I´m willing to rethink the 8600)

He want´s it to be as cheap as possible, but I told him that he´ll still probably have to pay more then he wants to. :p

Looking forward to your replies!

Frontkjemper

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
dude first of all you might wanna tell us how much money you plan to spend on this and second budget gaming rigs are an oximoron

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Well, first off Im not sure how much I´ll be spending on this. It´s really up to my younger brother as it´ll be his. But I´m guessing around a 1000us. (I said around, so I expect deviations.)

And of course you can have a budget gaming machine. It´s not going to be hard core, but it isn´t going to be a text machine either.

I was thinking of a 8600GT, but if I wait a little longer for the G95 to come out, the 8800GTS will be a lot cheaper.

This is what I have decided on so far, recomendations would be great.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0ghz
Corsair Twin 2x 6400 DDR2 total 2048mb CL5 kit
Asus M2M32-SLi Delux, NForce 590 SLi
Samsung Spinpoint T166 500gb SATA2 16mb 7200rpm
NorthQ 400watt psu
GeForce 8800GTS (bought after the G95 comes out)

Frontkjemper

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper
Well, first off Im not sure how much I´ll be spending on this. It´s really up to my younger brother as it´ll be his. But I´m guessing around a 1000us. (I said around, so I expect deviations.)

And of course you can have a budget gaming machine. It´s not going to be hard core, but it isn´t going to be a text machine either.

I was thinking of a 8600GT, but if I wait a little longer for the G95 to come out, the 8800GTS will be a lot cheaper.

This is what I have decided on so far, recomendations would be great.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0ghz
Corsair Twin 2x 6400 DDR2 total 2048mb CL5 kit
Asus M2M32-SLi Delux, NForce 590 SLi
Samsung Spinpoint T166 500gb SATA2 16mb 7200rpm
NorthQ 400watt psu
GeForce 8800GTS (bought after the G95 comes out)

Frontkjemper

well if you have it all figured out then all you need is to get vista

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Are you building a totally new system, or are you planning on salvaging parts from an existing system? If you're taking parts from an existing system, what parts? Case? Power supply? Sound card?

As far as a "best bang for the buck" system, I recently built one for a friend with approximately the same budget.

Motherboard: Intel P35 chipset motherboard
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6420
Memory: 2GB DDR2 (PC6400/800MHz or higher)
Video: 8800GTS
HDD: Seagate Baracuda

We used existing case and power supply, and utilized onboard audio and LAN.

This system was fast out of the box, but I played with it and got a rock stable overclock of 3.2 GHz using default voltage. (That's a 1.1GHz OC x 2 cores!)

If you have a little more money to play with, you could put together a higher end system like mine based on an Intel Q6600 quad core CPU, P35 motherboard, 4 GB DDR2 (1066), Dual 8800GTX SLI and 2 WD Raptors in RAID0. This system runs stable at 3.6 GHz with a slight voltage bump. It's fast, and it'll probably be able to run all the newest games for quite a while.

[edit on 8/28/2007 by ~Vixen~]

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Gigabyte P35 DDR2 mobo
Core 2 duo E6750
2x1gb Corsair DDR2-800
8800GTS 640 or Radeon HD 2900XT
Powersupply can be any as long as it has a single +12V rail.

Do NOT screw yourself into buying low end hardware, you will be left behind exceedingly quick.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
check out
new egg or tiger and see their barebones systems. sometimes they have awsome deals going. also if your going for a budget gaming pc, dont go for the "best" memory out there. i myself have a budget pc i made a year ago and everyhting runs great on it.

start by planing the mobo and work around it, figure out what games he wants to play and see what requirements you would need. (ie. if you want to play wow stay away from ati graphic crads, they treeat wow funky)

also check out extreme tech they have some great guides on budget pc to top of the line "wow i cant afford a house but im getting this pc" pc.

all in all if you need further help or asistance shoot me a u2u and ill see what i can help you on

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
also forgot to mentioncyber power they have some good deals as well.

happy hunting

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies. My brother decided to ditch the computer idea and bought a Ps3 instead. =/

But I´m considering putting together a new computer for my own gaming usage. But I´m going to wait a month or two before I do, the 8800 is going down in price soon.

FK

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Thats too bad, PS3 has nothing on my PC.

But i guess its not for everyone.

top topics

join