It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing is more important than you think!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
As a network admin, I barely write anything by hand unless it's to sign something, or sign off on something, or scribble little notes. Either than that I write journals/letters in my personal time, but 95% of any 'writing' is done on the computer.

I then found this web page that teaches kids how to write correctly again, while listening to calming music in the background. They claim that while the brain is relaxed by the music, it can concentrate better on connecting each letter to each other, and the child has an easier time writing out sentences than in an distracting environment. As many of you know, the mainstream answer to getting a child to focus is Ritalin (or other ADHD drugs).

Over the last 30 years America's schools have seen an epidemic of learning disabilities, dyslexia, autism, ADHD and attention deficit disorder! ADHD and its impulsive behaviors and attention issues has become America's leading childhood psychiatric disorder! Millions with ADHD/ADD have been on put Ritalin, Adderall or other drugs which have very serious side effects, addiction, or even death in some cases. Even preschoolers are now given Ritalin. More ominous info on Ritalin emerged recently. A UPI July, 2007, article indicated early Ritalin use may cause lasting negative brain and behavior changes.

A totally safe, drug-free, powerful ADHD treatment develops behavioral control without Ritalin or Adderall. However, since strong stress on penmanship in the curriculum was largerly abandoned decades ago, today's educators are unaware of the profound impact that the handwriting process has on the young brain and the learning process. It has been grossly neglected for decades compared to "the olden days." Teachers of that era knew that penmanship's benefit as the key to self-mastery, i.e, impulse control. Neglect has deprived young brains of essential regulated stimulation that develops self-mastery so they can control their behavior which helps them learn more easily! Ironically, ADHD, learning disabilities, dyslexia, etc., were largely non-existent at that time. Both children and society have been gravely penalized on the long term. It raises a serious question:

Can lack of strong stress on penmanship in the last 30 years be an unrecognized factor in the incredible increase of learning disabilities and ADHD/ADD?

It's funny how doing some things the 'old' way can actually be more beneficial to us humans, rather than depend on technology to do the thinking for us.

A Child's Brain is Created by the Input (Stimulation) It Receives!

The intense regulated stimulation that multi-sensory handwriting creates can reorganize the young brain while priming the brain for the learning process. It gives kids a head start on being smart! The therapeutic music is the magic in the process! Movement and therapeutic music stabilizes and calms the emotional brain so he/she can attend, canceling the need for Ritalin or Adderall. The inability to focus creates stress and anxiety, a very disrupting force that can lead to potential learning disabilities.

Source

Even now, when I write, I find myself writing very quickly, trying to match my 'typing' speed.

Anyways, I'd love to hear others' thoughts on this.

Peace.

join