It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush booed at King memorial.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   
ATLANTA (Reuters) - In a sign of the difficulty President Bush faces as he tries to win black support for his reelection, several hundred protesters loudly booed him on Thursday as he laid a wreath at the grave of civil rights leader Martin Luther King.

"Bush go home" and "peace not war" the predominantly black crowd of protesters shouted from behind a barrier of buses, as Bush paid tribute to King on the 75th anniversary of his birth.

Bush wants to improve his standing among black voters this reelection year, after winning less than 10 percent of the African-American vote in 2000.

www.reuters.com

I have a few different news sources on favorites.This was on the front pages of Reuters and Al jazeera but not on CNN or BBC.

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
this is why i love african americans.

you can lie, you can BS, and you can plea-bargain, but you can never get them to play your game.

such strong spirits, they have!

right on! and i hope he cried in the limousine ride home

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The worst part about this is that after he made his token appearance at the memorial, he spent the rest of the evening at a $2,000-a-plate fundraiser. At taxpayer expense, mind you (it costs $50,000 an hour to operate Air Force One).

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
"a BARRIER OF BUSES"

World, please help the US, we've gone off the deep end so completely, that our supposed leader will shield himself from any glimpse of those he's displaced.

Though the article did offer one thing that I will find myself agreeing with Bush on:
"I'm really not worthy to stand here, when I think about the fact that ... this is the very place where Martin Luther King stood, as well, some 42 years ago."

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm sure there will be ample footage of Bush laying the wreath at MLK's grave on his campaign ads - of course the crowd behind the buses won't be shown....

top topics

join