It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OpenMOKO | Linux-Based Mobile Phone | iPhone Alternative

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I couldn't decide where to stick this - would be great if there was an "Electronics" forum.

All the cool gadgetry of the iPhone is available from someone other than Apple. OpenMOKO is an open-source mobile communications platform based on Linux, designed to run on mobile phones.

The project is in early stages, but the goal is to have a dynamic and robust platform that can be installed on a wide variety of phones. There is a phone available now that you can buy and use - it is compatible with any GSM carrier (such as Cingular/AT&T and T-Mobile).

NEO - Currently Available w/ OpenMOKO
Product Details

A fully hackable phone! I want one.

[edit on 8/20/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I would think that most of the iphone sales will be to people who want it because it looks good, not because of what it can actually do. Is it hackable? Would not be on their list of buyer questions.

Where as this thing has all the style and sex appeal of road kill.

MonKey

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

The software can look however you want it to look, so I assume you were just talking about the appearance of the hardware, right? Maybe it isn't as sleek as the iPhone, but I certainly wouldn't make the comparison to roadkill.

[edit on 8/22/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Yeah I was refering to the hardware! and the road kill stands - or dosen't it kind of lies I think - from a design perspective it's crusty pants!

There is another phone kinda like that, not sure about the softwear though *Searching* the HTC touch

www.htctouch.com...

take a looky looky but no touchy touchy!!

MonKey

Not sure if this one is avalible where you are! But then I haven't seen the other one out here, or in any of the trashy gutter fashion mags the wife gets (I like the tech pages and the models!!)

MonKey

join