It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A ? about martial law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I have a question about martial law. If we are to have it what exactly would happen? I mean I would think that the big corporations would be against it cause wouldn't they lose money? I know that military would come in and all of that but what would happen as far as being able to buy things and do my normal day to day activities?

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Wow no responses?

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Martial law in the United States could never be implemented, IMO.

Look at our troops in Iraq... they can't handle a country with a much smaller population than ours.

The logistics of imposing martial law on a country this size seem to make it impossible on a large scale.

MAYBE it could be implemented in several large cities.

[edit on 16-8-2007 by craig732]

[edit on 16-8-2007 by craig732]

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I think the only time you'd see martial law in the US would be on a small scale, like a city or something along those lines.

From what I understand, you go about your daily business. There might be a curfew, or maybe restrictions on travel to certain parts of a city.

They want the people to go about their business as they normally do without interfering too much.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
First, it is normally used because normal law and order has broken down, so this means there is some really big problems or something like Katrina happened. It is also normally in a more confined location because it puts more restriction on everyone and hence it is much more manning intensive to maintain. As example, no one outside after dark or you will be shot, is a drastic martial law that could be enforced. In the end your liberties would be greatly reduced, but then you would most likely not want to be in the area anyways, so shopping, midnight raves etc are kind of out.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
o ok for some weird reason I thought they would shut everything down. I mean you got alex jones and other people here talking about it like its the end of the world lol. I thought it was gonna be the whole US under martial law....thank god I got ATS here to help tie the loose ends.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
martial law will likely be used after bush clandestine killer factory destroys a few cities of ours, then tells the world its going to war with more countries, honestly I think this is all so that militaries can test out the new weaponry, and since they can kill us all, they believe they have the sacred right to stir things up enough to commit treasonous paradigm shifts.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I dont live in America but I'm still kinda worried about this. If martial law is declared in America wouldn't that mean that (basically) all hell would break loose?
And wouldn't that affect other countries and continents too?

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
If martial law was implemented in America no, not all hell would break loose. Iraqis are armed by world powers. I will not elaborate on which powers are involved but as we all know, some of those weapone are our own. Therefore a complete takeover of America BY America would be much easier as they'd only be facing 22mm and a few shotguns and the such.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It would be a bit more difficult for them than you think. We after all LOOK like the police and soldiers and can blend in better than the Iraqis. There would be supporters of the government like always, but they would not know who was friendly or who was an enemy. This would cause them to crack down on everyone and drive their supporters to the other side.

A few shotguns!? Do you have any idea the type of firepower we citizens are allowed to have? Hell even if it were just hunting rifles they tend to be more powerful and have longer range than "Assault weapons". But we also have things like full auto machine guns, .50 cal sniper rifles, miniguns, etc. You can own just about anything in some states as long as you have the proper paperwork on it.

You would be amazed what can be done to a shotgun. .73 cal rifled slug out to 200 yards?
www.thefiringline.com...
www.thefiringline.com...

Honestly I would not bet against the leaders living out the week if they did something as obvious as that. Martial law (nation wide only as it would have to be pretty draconian to do it, one small area doesn't count) or suspending the elections.

There are plenty of people and militias just itching for an excuse. And plenty of smart people know that you never get into a fight with the grunts. You go straight after the leaders, the only way to win.

I don't own any guns, so don't think I'm just a gun nut. I have been planning on getting into Bow hunting soon though. =)

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 03:17 AM
link   
buying things would be a thought of the past. corporations would love it to happen because they would no longer depend on the choice of the consumer. they would tell, and order, the consumer what to do. it would be a corporation's dream. that is, corporations that actually matter (the largest ones).

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
It is really amazing to me that there are still people who feel that Martial Law can not be implemented in the US. All the pieces are in place. The Constitution has been shredded, new laws that make it easier to declare Martial Law has been passed. All the pieces are in place so I do not understand how people still think it can not happen.

If you want to understand what would happen in the event Martial Law is declared, it is a good idea to know exactly what Martial Law is.

Other links of interest:

Bush moves toward Martial Law: Article from Oct. 06

March 07 Article: 2007 National Defense Authorization Act overturns Posse Comitatus Act

This one is pretty interesting but I have no idea to the credibility of it's author. Is America preparing for Martial Law?

Gonzales questions Habeas Corpus

An article from the New Yorker: The Political Scene: Killing Habeas Corpus

The idea of Martial Law is not new and is not limited to this Administration. Here is an article from 2002 which discusses the possibility of plans that came up during the Iran Contra hearings.

There is a lot of evidence out there, one just has to take his time and look. One thing I do find interesting, Alex Jones did tell everyone that 9/11 would happen and who would be blamed for it 2 months before it actually happened. He has made a new prediction regarding Martial Law and it is obvious to me he feels passionately about the subject considering he canceled his expected guest and threw away the show he planned to talk about this subject. The show is from August 16, 2007 and if interested you can check it out HERE

Edited to add: At the time I had posted this I had listened to an hour of Alex Jones's show (it is just short of 3 hours long) I am now coming up on the 2 hour mark and this show has really gotten pretty good. If you are not a fan of Alex Jones you might want to skip the first hour. I am a fan of his work ,and during the first hour he was getting on my nerves. Thus far the rest of the show is really worth giving a listen too.

[edit on 19/8/2007 by section8citizen]

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:45 AM
link   
If the govenment declares martial law, you can bet that they will be using UN troops, those same troops training in the US since at least 1996 which was when I first heard about them on the radio, to do the culling and peace keeping. Seeming they are not from here and have no real ties to the American people, they would be capable of action without emotional bonds.

When I think of martial law, one movie always comes to mind:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I've been subjected to martial law on a small scale on two occassions previously :

The first was in 1995 at an Atlanta, Georgia near the convention center where the Grateful Dead was playing.

Riot police showed up, declared martial law to help clear the streets of hippies without tickets who were basically setting up shop on the sidewalks and a few of the more "colorful" types who were panhandling and wandering around the streets without concern or regard for traffic right on way.

It was fairly peaceful, and I didn't see anything serious go down anywhere aside from a few people who thought it somehow appropriate to be rude and harass the officers who were doing their jobs, randoming screaming something about "freedoms" (while ignoring the rights of others, I might add) and being well...being "uncivil" themselves.

I experienced no problems whatsoever, but then again, it was quite an awesome spectacle to see so many riot cops in full gear lining the walkway up to the stadium doors in the state of mind I was in at the time.

But, like a good girl, I smiled and waved and was polite as possible. Seems not to attract attention for some reason.

The second affair was a bit more extreme - the WTO protests in Seattle back in 1999.

After a full day of protesting, the crowd was still hanging around well after sunset, and the local officials keeping an eye on things decided it was time to clear the streets after the crowd showed no signs of letting up with their peaceful assemblage anytime soon.

There was also a small faction of protestors scattered about who were obviously up to no good and I was informed of the Law being enacted and asked to "clear the streets and return to my home" (which I didn't do, I hit a bar and grabbed a beer and burger) but the main point was to clear the streets and disperse the throngs of people randomly wandering about and talking.

"Party's Over, Parade is finished - you've had all day out here kiddos"

The officers were farily congenial, but very businesslike.

By the time I finally made it home, chaos had erupted.

A few "elements" within the whole of the downtown populace had decided to "stick it to the man" and "fight back" that they couldn't just hang out wherever and whenever they wanted, and dissention spread rapidly within these folks - a few kids took up some trashcans and smashed a few windows to protest what they felt was unconsitutional and all hell broke loose.

Innocent bystanders, parents with older children, even the elderly were caught up in a swift and painful retaliation on the part of the officers called to action.

Pepper spray, rubber bullets, billy clubs - you name it - were weilded without discrimination on anyone who happened to be on the streets after those windows broke.

Riot scenario.

To anyone who followed the news footage and various aftermath of lawsuits against the city and violations on the parts of the riot cops who were set into action - you might have some idea of what I'm talking about.

These officers were cold and efficient in making their point known - the violent equivanlent of "you've had over two hours to disperse peacefully and in compliance with the law, and now you're fair game".

It was NOT a pretty sight.

Some people enjoyed the battle, many of my friends proudly sported their brusies and wild tales of police encounters that night - but also, many innocent people got caught up in the mess, and were badly hurt.

The moral to the story?

Marital Law is valid in some cases, and if you're not up to getting in a scuffle with the law, retreat from the area calmly and quickly.

If you're interested to test out your fighting tactics against heaily armed law enforcement to settle some personal issue and not oppossed to getting bumps, bruises, pepper spray, and citations and fines for civil disobiedience - go ahead and stick around.

Personally, if it comes down to Martial Law, I know damned well how to conduct myself so as not to attract negative attentions, and be damned if some idelaistic ideology is going to subject me to the wrath of some of those officers out there...no thanks.

You, on the other hand, are free to do what you like. Just remember, there are always consequences in such scenarios if you get caught - and please, if you're going to make a point...don't do it around innocent bystanders.

new topics

top topics

join