It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learning process & school system.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The other day, I was reflecting on how, I came to enjoy certain subjects at high school, got self-motivated, etc. and end-up being an aerospace engineer, since 30 years.

Obviously it is not all young people at school, who strived doing something (percentage of drop-out is a shame).

1- Do you think, that, it take some sort of connection teacher-student to succeed?

In a lifetime, before entering the workforce for good (assuming that you are not constantly in a formal course, of some sort), each student will probably have anywhere from 50 to 100 teachers, or more. Out of all these teachers, perhaps 2 or 3 will change your life.

Since it is not possible to know, up front, which teachers will change your life, you are force to meet plenty of them. Very unefficient, but can hardly be improved.

2- Will a school system (not at adult age) , entirely based on on-line lectures, books or video, could ever be successful? (I guess, the success rate of correspondance course, must be an order of magnitude lower, then formal course, in class, with a teacher).

Thanks in advance.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
1. I believe that the teacher-student connection is very important to education. In my ten years in school (so far) that connection has been the only thing to motivate me to truly learn. The rest, my mind just turns off.

One of my best teachers was my history teacher in eighth grade. She gave me a reason to actually learn- She was not a dry history teacher. She presented it with so many different facets that I felt inclined to learn. Since that time, I've always felt inclined to learn about history, sociology, psycholoy, etc.

All other teachers with the same, dry information just make it difficult for me to learn at all. These are the teachers that present only information without trying to show different ideas or facets about it (where applicable) or real-life applications.

2. I don't believe that such a system would be successful. It is very difficult to care at all about education in an isolated environment. There are no factors driving you towards any sort of success- no interesting teachers, no competition in-between students, etc. There is no real will to learn at that point- especially when, at this point, school is just a twelve year course in memorizing facts.

Just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Well for starters better looking teachers would help.

Hahaha only joking... or am I

The school system is lacking the teachers that usually give the inspiring self-motivation.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
1) It isn't necessary, but it sure helps a lot. Assuming that the teacher knows his/her stuff, and the student wants to learn, the job will get done, even if no special connection is made. However, if a connection is made, it will be much, much better.

2) I don't think that such a system is enough, although that is better than nothing. Education requires an interaction between student and teacher, and student with other students, as well as access to the books and videos and all the rest.

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
my favorit Mark Twain quote comes to mind - something to the effect of "I never let school get in the way of my education."

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Maybe the subjects doesn't matter that much, but all we need is a teacher that is capable to make us love those subjects.

new topics

top topics

join