It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denmark begins a polar expedition to asses claims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Denmark has started a month long expedition into the arctic in order to determine its possibilities of claiming the Lomonosov Ridge claimed earlier this month by the Russians. Area around the North Pole is believed to have large amounts of natural resources including oil.

BBC Story

So now we have Canadians, Russians and Danes claiming the region, when will Norway and USA join in the fun?

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Can't everyone just split it into 4 ways?
I mean I don't know why everyone is going to fight for this
land when they can just divide it up.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Can't everyone just split it into 4 ways?
I mean I don't know why everyone is going to fight for this
land when they can just divide it up.

The problem is who gets close to the north pole. Where do people draw the lines

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The thing I find most interesting is that they are in a hurry to grab land that has been melting do to our planet heating up (Call it Global Warming or whatever, but our planet IS getting warmer). Instead of trying to fix the global climate change (If it's possible, depending on what you think the cause is) they are trying to claim land for oil and profit.

The way I see it is that, if countries are grabbing land, and willing to spend money at the arctic, then that country thinks that we will not be fixing the climate change anytime soon, which makes me uneasy to say the least.

Better to make money for yourself, but let your kids deal with a problem when it could be to late, right?

-Reform America

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Yes I agree, the next generation is going to have a big mess to clean up.
It is all about money and greed now. I hope they learn fast or they will
see how this will come back and haunt them.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Does anyone realize that the USA "discovered" the North Pole already. While there is some dispute over who was first to reach the north pole, both first and second are Americans. First flight over North pole, American. First sub to break the ice at the North Pole, American. First landing of airplane on North Pole, Russia claims it, but America did it "later" and this is considered to be the actual first landing. Russia has no more of a valid claim to the area than America does.

Countries need to look at territorial waters and international waters. Then treaties need to cover places in international water.

new topics

top topics

join