It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cirrus disappearance: Warming might thin heat-trapping clouds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Cirrus disappearance: Warming might thin heat-trapping clouds

www.uah.edu

"All leading climate models forecast that as the atmosphere warms there should be an increase in high altitude cirrus clouds, which would amplify any warming caused by manmade greenhouse gases,\" he said. \"That amplification is a positive feedback. What we found in month-to-month fluctuations of the tropical climate system was a strongly negative feedback. As the tropical atmosphere warms, cirrus clouds decrease. That allows more infrared heat to escape from the atmosphere to outer space.\"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
\Another dent on the Anthropogenic Global Warming claim.

Cirrus clouds can occur both naturally and by anthropogenic means, such as cirrus clouds can be remnants of thundrestorms, high altitute outflow of hurricanes and typhons also form cirrus clouds, and the condensation of trails made by aircraft, if there is a persistent formation of such trails can become cirrus clouds.

It has been claimed that high altitute cirrus clouds will induce more warming, and as this article states \"all leading climate models forecast an increase in cirrus clouds as the atmosphere warms\", but this new research puts a big dent on the trust people are giving such \"climate model forecasts\".

What is being observed is the oposite to what the \"leading climate models\" are forecasting.

www.uah.edu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

"To give an idea of how strong this enhanced cooling mechanism is, if it was operating on global warming, it would reduce estimates of future warming by over 75 percent," Spencer adds. "The big question that no one can answer right now is whether this enhanced cooling mechanism applies to global warming."
blogs.usatoday.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So where's the other M on this one? I was looking forward to his comments on this matter...

[edit on 10-8-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well I guess the proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Are cirrus clouds increasing or decreasing
Oops, no-one thought to look ....

And I find this comment interesting:

"Global warming theory says warming will generally be accompanied by more rainfall," Spencer said. "Everyone just assumed that more rainfall means more high altitude clouds. That would be your first guess and, since we didn't have any data to suggest otherwise ..."

Er, actually no rainfall comes from high level clouds - its all from medium and low levels ones
I would assume more rainfall means more low level cloud myself!

In any case all this research does is point out that in the past, warmer spells in the tropics have resulted in decreased, rather than increased, natural cirrus cover.

btw I wasn't even aware that models predicted an increase .... unless of course they were factoring in air travel

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
So does this mean the so-called "chem-trails" are gonna disappear too? I think the real reason for the cloud disappearance is due to all the people that have been using their mind powers to cloud bust. There is a thread about it somewhere on here.

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Are cirrus clouds increasing or decreasing
Oops, no-one thought to look ....

In this research they decided to look at whether cirrus clouds were increasing or decreasing, and found them decreasing...

In any case all this research does is point out that in the past, warmer spells in the tropics have resulted in decreased, rather than increased, natural cirrus cover.

The research covers the last 15 years, including the present or up until the time they finished this research... So it does covers the present too...

BTW as far as i know there is no difference between natural cirrus clouds and aircraft induced cirrus clouds.

btw I wasn't even aware that models predicted an increase .... unless of course they were factoring in air travel

All leading climate models have been predicting an increase in cirrus clouds, without factoring in air travel, but of course it has been proposed by some....that air travel would increase these clouds and cause more warming, instead as this research shows the trend is a reduction in cirrus clouds.

Some people have a lot of faith on "leading climate models", and this research shows "leading climate models" "Global Climate models", or GCM are wrong....

[edit on 11-8-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 11 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
So does this mean the so-called "chem-trails" are gonna disappear too?

My thoughts exactly....So does this really mean the chem-trail conspiracy has been killed off by a more powerful media cover up or corruption of the news in regards to the real truth behind global warming?

posted on Aug, 12 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

In this research they decided to look at whether cirrus clouds were increasing or decreasing, and found them decreasing...

No, according to the article they used past tropical warming cycles as a proxy for predicting future warming.

They found that in such previous cycles, cirrus clouds in tropical regions decreased. Therefore they conclude that if global warming continues, such high level clouds will, similarly, decrease.

It is also reported that

In the tropics most cirrus-type clouds flow out of the upper reaches of thunderstorm clouds. As the Earth's surface warms - due to either manmade greenhouse gases or natural fluctuations in the climate system - more water evaporates from the surface. Since more evaporation leads to more precipitation, most climate researchers expected increased cirrus cloudiness to follow warming.

However, they appear to have not considered the possibility that, due to deforestation, there will be less tropical thunderstorms and thus less potential for cirrus formation in tropical regions anyway.

So, a reduction in tropical cirrus clouds could be seen as a consequence of anthropogenic climate change

I do agree though that, if models are predicting increased tropical cirrus clouds, then those models may well be incorrect.

Some people have a lot of faith on "leading climate models", and this research shows "leading climate models" "Global Climate models", or GCM are wrong....

I for one have never had much faith in them, albeit for perhaps different reasons to you

[edit on 12-8-2007 by Essan]

top topics

join